School Systems


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » Scotland » Lanarkshire » Glasgow
November 12th 2006
Published: November 13th 2006
Edit Blog Post

I am gaining a better understanding of how the grade levels work. The school systems are divided into two schools, a Junior School and a Senior School. The Junior Schools generally contain eight grade levels, with the exception of the particular school I am working at. Their eighth level is actually part of the Senior School. The Junior School contains the following grade levels, Kindergarten which begins at age 3, Junior 1, Junior 2, Junior 3, Junior 4, Junior 5, Junior 6, and Junior 7. The school I am at, the Juniors stop at Junior 6. The Junior 7 is at the Senior School, and is referred to as Transitus, rather than Junior 7. The Senior School generally contains six grade levels, Secondary 1 through 6. They refer to the students as 1st year, 2nd year, etc., rather than by grade level. The school is led by a Rector (the Head Teacher, similar to the function of a Principal), a Senior Deputy Rector (Vice Principal), and two Deputy Rectors.

If you are familiar with J.K. Rowling’s Harry Potter at all, (which by the way is a Scottish writer) the school concept is set up very much the same. Harry Potter entered into Hogwart’s School of Witchcraft and Wizardry as a 1st year student at age 11. This is just about right for the Secondary level. They are also set up into four houses which are named after former students which were famous for one thing or another, and yes they actually have a house competition between the houses. Each house has two Captains, 1 male and one female, which are sixth year students. There are also two sixth year students, one male and one female that serve as School Captains. Each house has Forms, three in Transitus, and four in every other year group which act as first-line supervisors. Sixth year Formers can apply to be School Prefects, which are led by the School and House Captains. Each house is also led by a Housemaster or Housemistress which is a staff member, and has an Assistant of the opposite sex.

The private schools here are far more privileged than the public schools. I really enjoyed working at the High School of Glasgow (private) these last six weeks, so much so that I did not want to leave. I have been at Kilsyth Academy (public) now for a week. I have already encountered several problems with the kids breaking school policy, then being deliberately defiant when asked to report to the office. I am still trying to figure out a way to deal with it.

I thought it was interesting that PE is considered an expressive art here. The most common sports are Football (Soccer), Rugby, Field Hockey, Badminton, and Swimming. Gymnastics and Social Dancing (similar to square dancing) are also taught here in the schools. There is a strong emphasis on agility and skills, and practice drills are set up accordingly. The students here also have to take Scottish Qualification Assessments (SQA) in Physical Education. These tests are standardized across the country.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.199s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.1697s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb