Day trip to Glasgow


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » Scotland » Lanarkshire » Glasgow
July 6th 2007
Published: July 6th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Well - I guess just another normal weather day - cold and rain all day. Until we returned to the hotel, so I took a picture of our Marriott here.

On the way to Glasgow, we stopped at the Falkirk Wheel: a gigantic rotating boat lift used to connect two canals so there is a continuous waterway from one coast of Scotland to the other. It takes four minutes now to do what used to take 8 hours. It is quite a fascinating sight to see. Andrea, Celia and Jeff went on a boat ride that goes on the wheel to the upper canal, down the canal a bit, then returns on the wheel to the lower canal.

Then on to Glasgow. We stopped at the Glasgow School of Art, and the Tenement House, which is really just an apartment (or 'flat' as they say here) preserved the way it was from the early 1900's. Really interesting. We stopped at the Willow Tea Room, designed by the famous Glasgow architect, Charles Mackintosh. Had tea and cake! Then we walked an extra 15-20 minutes in the rain to St. Mungo's Museum of Religious Life and Art - mainly to see a famous work by Salvadore Dali: it wasn't there! Moved to another museum (which was right next to where we had been on the other side of town!) a year ago. Too late to back track as everything was closing. St. Mungo's was still interesting, with objects of art from many religious cultures.

Tomorrow we return to do some more sights in Edinburgh before we hit the road for Liverpool.




Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



Tot: 0.09s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0644s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb