Wildlife, Museums and Ruthven Barracks


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » Scotland » Inverness-shire » Newtonmore
April 30th 2005
Published: February 11th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Highland Wildlife ParkHighland Wildlife ParkHighland Wildlife Park

This was the area we drove.
Saturday had us on the B9152 to Kingussie for the Highland Wildlife Park. It had a variety of animals that included polecats, red deer mouflon, pine marten, capercaillie, artic fox, snowy owl, elk, bison, sheep, horse and cattle. First was a drive through the park with an audio CD. Then we got a guided tour for the Forest Habitat where the guide fed a pine marten and then went in a cage to feed the wildcats and polecats. Kind of scary. We finished the rest on our own.

The Highland Folk Museum has 2 parts; one in Kingussie which we visited first, and a larger one in Newtonmore. This one opened in 1944 and had indoor collections like old furniture, household items, tools and buildings including a Smokehouse, Clack Mill and Blackhouse. There was also a farm museum, museum's store and the remains of a cottage. We also viewed a show of Waltzing Waters. It was a colorful water show in an auditorium lasting about 40 minutes with music. This was beside our hotel, the Balavil Sports Hotel.

We started in the hotel bar for our evening entertainment but there was only 3 people so we went downstairs to
Red DeerRed DeerRed Deer

This deer was right next to the car.
the other hotel bar. People seemed to look at us strangely, like we didn't belong which made us feel weird. This was the first time I ever felt like this in an Irish or Scottish bar. We of course left and walked down the road to the Glen Hotel. Once again, the entertainment was an accordian player but that was ok. We talked to a guy whose name was Duncan for most of the night. We laughed about some of the things people were doing and still had a good time.

Sunday we were awoken by the sound of a garbage truck right outside our window. After breakfast, we drove back to Kingussie to see Ruthven Barracks that was built in 1719 following the Jacobite Rising in 1715. The way it is today is how it was left in 1746. It sits on a hill and also includes stables and is roofless and floorless. Next was the 2nd half of the Highland Folk Museum that goes through 200 years of Highland life. It includes a farm, school, post office, cottage, church, tailor, clockmaker, livestock, workshops, sawmill and a curling club hut. My favorite part was the township with 4
Mother duckMother duckMother duck

Her ducklings following.
croft houses. One house had interperters and they invited us in. It was basically a one room house and a peat fire was warming us up, since it was raining. There was a bus available since this was a couple of miles but we walked most of it. It was very interesting. The people that worked here were very friendly and informative.

While driving in Newtonmore, we saw the Clan MacPherson Museum and took a free tour. We were shown a movie and many things on display. We got back on the A86 road, passing Loch Laggan while listening to Shania Twain on our CD player. Loch Laggan has the largest freshwater beach in Scotland and a dam. It was the prettiest "dam" place I have seen. We stopped and took photos and then went through Loch Linnhe and Loch Leven before getting to Glen Coe for the night.



Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

Ruthven BarracksRuthven Barracks
Ruthven Barracks

View from the parking lot. This was built in 1719.
Ruthven BarracksRuthven Barracks
Ruthven Barracks

The stables in the back.
Croft HouseCroft House
Croft House

At the Highland Folk Museum in Newtonmore.
Loch LagganLoch Laggan
Loch Laggan

We passed this on our way to Glen Coe and was very pretty.
Laggan DamLaggan Dam
Laggan Dam

Prettiest "Dam picture" taken.


Tot: 0.077s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 12; qc: 31; dbt: 0.0357s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb