Falls of Foyer, feeding reindeer at Cairngorm Mountains and Funicular Railway


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » Scotland » Inverness-shire » Aviemore
April 28th 2005
Published: February 11th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Falls of FoyerFalls of FoyerFalls of Foyer

This was a hike to get to.
Raining on and off Thursday, we drove along Loch Ness and went to Fort Agustus and visited the Clansman Centre. We watched a DVD on the Scottish Clans after paying a small fee and then walked the area, found an internet cafe and strolled along the Caledonian Canal. It goes from Corpach to Inverness for 60 miles. We weren't here long and we found Glenmore Forest Park and walked part of it, being the only people here. We got on the 862 road and then hiked a path to the Falls of Foyer and forest walk. It was a pretty area and the falls are 135 feet tall. After hiking back up and driving down the road, we did a short walk along Loch Ness. When driving again, we spotted two mallard ducks along the side of the road. Suzi being an animal person got out to feed them our leftovers of crisps and whatever we had with us. One was a female and the other a male. The males are more colorful and well, prettier while the females are brown. This male had a green head and a rust colored neck.

We got to Avienmore late afternoon to our B&B at the Cairn Mor for another 2 nights. We were put in a separate 2 story building by the house with our bathroom being downstairs, not ensuite. The bathroom seemed to always be cold. The actual room was nice and we could tell it was a new building smelling of wood. There was a single bed and a bunkbed. I took the single bed since Suzi is taller.

The Cairngorm Hotel was where we went out for the night and our entertainment was an accordian player. It was crowded with a mixture of people. We walked back the 1.5 miles to the B&B. Wouldn't you know that of all nights I awoke around 3am nauseated! It wasn't pleasant going down steps to a freezing bathroom! I blame the calzone I had for dinner. lol

I felt fine for breakfast the next morning and we went to the Cairngorm Reindeer Centre where we put on wellies (boots) and took a short drive to a parking lot. About 6 of us hiked up the mountain with a guide that took us to the reindeer at the top. The hike wasn't as bad as it looked and it took about
Cairngorm MountainsCairngorm MountainsCairngorm Mountains

This was part of the area we hiked to get to the reindeer.
30 minutes through some muddy parts. We got to pet and feed them while they ate out of our hands. They were so tame and friendly!

Our next stop was the Cairngorm Funicular Railway that takes visitors to the top of the mountains. At the top was an observation deck with beautiful views and also a restaurant. It was very cold and windy and has some of the highest wind speeds in the UK. On our way down, we got to sit in the first seat which made you wonder "what is this would go off track!"

Finding the signs for the RSPB Osprey Centre, we took a detour and visited here. We had been reading articles in the paper about 2 ospreys named EJ the female, and Henry. They were shown on a tv monitor along with other wildlife and telescopes and binoculars were also provided. EJ and Henry ended up mating while we were there, lasting for only a few seconds. We went to the Old Bridge Inn in Avienmore for dinner but I had the best dessert in my life; a Blueberry Chocolate Tort!

We went out again to the Cairngorm Hotel and there
Row of reindeerRow of reindeerRow of reindeer

Ready to get fed by us.
was no entertainment. We stayed for a couple hours and got to talk to the cute bartender and then stopped at RD's Bar & Biastro on our walk back. It was more crowded here and I think we were the oldest ones in the place! the bartenders were also young but very handsome. We closed the place down. What a great Friday we had!


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

Feeding the reindeerFeeding the reindeer
Feeding the reindeer

This was great and the deer were friendly and ate out of our hands.
In my welliesIn my wellies
In my wellies

I loved these boots and wished we could keep them.
Funicular RailwayFunicular Railway
Funicular Railway

This was our view from the railcar.
On the viewing terraceOn the viewing terrace
On the viewing terrace

At the top of Cairngorm Mountains. I had to hold on to my hood.
Loch GartenLoch Garten
Loch Garten

This was near the Osprey Centre.
Loch MorlichLoch Morlich
Loch Morlich

A pretty loch.
EJ and Henry EJ and Henry
EJ and Henry

The famous Ospreys after they mated.


Tot: 0.105s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0525s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb