The Mystery of the escaped frogs and many men in skirts...oh, I mean Kilts!


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » Scotland » Aberdeenshire » Ballater
August 31st 2013
Published: August 31st 2013
Edit Blog Post

Thursday, August 8th—The mystery of the escaped frogs and many men in Skirts oh, we mean Kilts! We woke up to the frogs who escaped from their enclosure…we think a “vicious pumus” came in the middle of the night to either release them or munch on a midnight snack of frog legs! We were off in a flash to make our 2 hour journey through gorgeous Scottish mountains up to Tarland where the Highland Games were being held. The Highland games were according to Becca were, strongly fantastic! We watched huge men (in skirts) flip what would be best described as phone poles up into the air while balancing the base in their hands and then lunging the pole and over itself (Caber toss), large hammers (more like a huge clubs) being thrown for distance and large stones being hurled up into the air to find their way above a tiny pole a mere 15-18 feet above ground! These guys were strong! There was a mountain climb run, tug-of-war, wheelbarrow spear racing (where if the spear didn’t go directly through a small hole in a piece of wood, a bucket of COLD water would come down on the contestants); oh yes, and bag pipe competitions and of course Scottish dancing! A full fun day with blue skies and puffy clouds was had in the Highlands! Home to have Steak pies and sausages we bought at the games.


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement



Tot: 0.098s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0481s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb