Sunday, July 27


Advertisement
Published: July 28th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Martha & BillMartha & BillMartha & Bill

Colin's mother, Martha (standing less than five feet tall) with Bill (standing at 6'6").
We awoke to a beautiful Lord's day morning. The cool morning air is always a treat when one thinks of the warm, humid air back home.

Kelly and I decided to take a walk down the road to Helen's tower (see the July 26th post for a photo). The tower stands a half-mile or so from the Grahams' home, much of which is a good uphill hike through lush forest. The photos of the golf course in the previous post are just the sort of views you see strolling along through what could be an enchanted forest. We saw one tree that just looked like a little leprechaun or fairy could pop out at any moment. We walked back to the house and got cleaned up for morning worship. Their meetings start at 11:00 a.m. here -- far later than most of us are accustomed to meeting in the States.

Currently, the church assembles at a community center-type building right near the heart of Bangor. It serves them well for the time being, though they are actively pursuing a better option. Since their rental agreement is only for Sundays, they have to set everything up in the morning, then put it all away in the evening. Nonetheless, this small group of Christians assemble faithfully week by week and do the best they can.

Colin preached a fine sermon on building for Christ from First Corinthians chapter three. Along with his family, Colin is a real asset to the work here. Bill followed with his third session of the evangelism seminar in a 30-minute Bible class. He did a good job and packed quite a bit of material into that short time allottment.

After a fine lunch back at the homestead, it was time for one final afternoon of distributing the invitations to the gospel meeting. After just an hour or two, the last of the 3,000 invitations were handed out.

Later that night, we assembled for the first session of the gospel meeting. Several brothers and sisters from congregations throughout the area were their in support of the effort, including one of the elders from a church in Belfast. Hopefully, the ones in attendance were as encouraged by the message as I was by their warm reception and kind words afterward. In true Irish fashion, tea, coffee, and sweet treats were served to complement a time of fellowship that went on for almost two hours!

Three more nights to go in the gospel meeting. We'll have more to report very soon, so pay us another visit shortly.

Until then, we leave you with this well known Irish blessing:


May the road rise to meet you.
May the wind be always at your back.
May the sun shine warm upon your face.
And rains fall soft upon your fields.
And until we meet again,
May God hold you in the hollow of His hand.


-- Ryan & Kelly




Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Meeting PlaceMeeting Place
Meeting Place

The church's current Snday meeting facility.
Malachy's WallMalachy's Wall
Malachy's Wall

Sections of this wall (inclduing the one you see here) date from the A.D. 1000's!! It is right beside the building in which the church currently meets.
Mac & RyanMac & Ryan
Mac & Ryan

Colin & Lisa's youngest, Mac, and Ryan standing in fron of Malachy's Wall.
Ryan PreachingRyan Preaching
Ryan Preaching

Night one of the gospel meeting
Tea TimeTea Time
Tea Time

Taking time afterward for a wee bit of tea.


Tot: 0.074s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0381s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb