Into the storm


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » Northern Ireland » County Antrim » Belfast
September 16th 2013
Published: June 22nd 2017
Edit Blog Post

Titanic museum centre from the shipTitanic museum centre from the shipTitanic museum centre from the ship

Titanic was built in Belfast by Harland and Wolfe
Geo: 54.5973, -5.93019

The report from the Captain was that despite an overnight stay in Belfast, we would still run into the gale winds which have not passed southwards as fast as he had hoped. In order to reach Iceland in time we had to leave Belfast at 2pm and go as fast as possible. When the storm hits it is going to slow us down so do not know when we will reach Iceland. Having missed out on a stop at Stornoway we do not want to miss out on Iceland too.

As the ship was in port, the singers and dancers who put on a wonderful Abba show did not have a problem with a rocking ship. Brilliant songs which always bring back happy memories.

We took the shuttle bus into Belfast city centre as our original idea of a tour round the Botanical gardens did not seem so good in the intermittent rain and wind. There is a glass dome built on top of the new Victoria shopping centre to which you can ascend to see a 360 degree view of Belfast. It probably is the most uninspiring view I have ever encountered! Belfast has built and expanded into a hot potch of old and new buildings with no coherent planning and no thought of aesthetics.

Next we walked round to St.Anne's Cathedral which was closed but on the outside it boasts the largest Celtic cross on any church.

Cannot say I was sad to leave Belfast.

The Captain has just said that now he is full steam ahead while we are protected by the coast of Ireland. Once we are in open sea it will be a different matter but he reckoned the swell would only be 15 feet. Meanwhile the cleaner has moved anything which might fall over onto the floor.

Battening down the hatches!

Our Trivia team which came second again yesterday will not be deterred.

And we have a good excuse for staggering along the corridor later on!


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



16th September 2013

i love your posts Tiz , keep them coming... i hope the storm will not cause you too much upset... stefan does not look optimistic in this pic looking at the grey sky and sea .... tell us how the 15 feet waves affected your travels... i woul
d be sea sick for sure ... big hug xxx

Tot: 0.038s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0194s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb