Finding Giants' at the causeway and a 350 year old bridge!


Advertisement
Published: May 26th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Ireland day 6

The day began with a walking tour of Londonderry. I tried very hard to listen to our guide through the sound of my teeth chattering and body shivering as it was bitterly cold and even though I had rugged up it wasn't making much difference with the wind chill. It then began to rain lightly, then harder, then it was pouring and windy and bitterly cold, my umbrella desserted me and turned inside out, and my concentration levels dimmed somewhat. We did see the Bloody Sunday memorial and learnt that the term catwalk originated in Ireland as they have a long walkway at the topnof a hill that the aristocrats used to walk up and down parading their finery and the peasants below used to call them the fine cats - hence the term 'catwalk'.

Luckily our next stop was sunny and delightful! The Giant's Causeway. Ireland tells the same story that Scotland does about the Irish / Scotish giant fight - I wont re-type it but it was on my 2nd last day of Scotland if you want to read it. When Carol tell's the story though, it is the other way around! I have to admit, Scotland took my heart with its deep Scotish love so I will stay on their side of the story! Carol / Colleen set us another challene to find the Giant's boot, grandma, pipe organ and camel in our explorations of the causeway. We mis-spotted the camel but found an extra! We found his face in the rock instead. The rocks here were also perfectly cut into tetrahedrons, check out the photos, in some instances some imagination might be handy to find the items though. :-)

More sunshine led us to the beautiful coastland and the very scary Carrick a read rope bridge which means rock in the road. Fishermen in this part of Ireland have been using this bridge for the last 350 years. It started as a single line for your feet and another for your hands (while also juggling fishing gear) and then it graduated to what it is today. They leave it up all year round as a tourist attraction as the views from the tiny Isle are incredible, we had such a clear day we could see all the way to the Mull of Kintyre, Scotland! This was seriously scary going over as I am not good with heights, but it was worth it for the views and pure sense of serentity on the Island. The grass was super squishy too, Candra and I took some jumping photos.

We had somehoe managed to convice Carol, who was an ex-chef to cook us dinner on our final night in Belfast so after getting all the ingredients and asking us to leave her in her domain, she produced a magnificent home cooked bolognes. We all headed to Lavery's for our final night drinks. Slauncha! (Irish for cheers)

Advertisement



Tot: 0.066s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0455s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb