09/29/2009 - Belfast, Northern Ireland (part of United Kingdom)


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » Northern Ireland » County Antrim » Belfast
September 29th 2009
Published: October 16th 2009
Edit Blog Post

The entire group of 10 went on a private tour to Giant’s Causeway. Along the way we saw some beautiful countryside and lots of sheep. We went through several small villages along the way. One village named Cushendall is the heart of an annual glens festival (1st week in August). They also have “hurling” games here quite frequently. Another village known as Lockarema (the vanishing lakes) is 1100 feet above sea level.

Another small fishing village was Bally Castle which has a rope bridge and as of 2002 there is no more salmon. Finally, arrived at the Giant’s Causeway. Very strange geological formations! The causeway was formed by volcanic action under the sea and what has been created is tall columns of stone which look to be man made, but in reality were formed by the volcanic action and sea tides. We drove by Dunluce Castle remains which sit high on a cliff overlooking the sea. We then headed back to Belfast for a tour of some of the older areas where the fighting between Catholics and Protestants was the worst. There is an actual gate that separates the neighborhoods into religious sects. While a peace treaty was signed in 1998, the gate still exists and there are various murals being painted on buildings to reflect political views or memories of persons killed. There are still some who are not happy with the way things are, but for the most part the violence has stopped.



Additional photos below
Photos: 63, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

North Antrim countrysideNorth Antrim countryside
North Antrim countryside

White specks are sheep
North Antrim Coastal CausewayNorth Antrim Coastal Causeway
North Antrim Coastal Causeway

Stopped in this little village for restroom & snack
North Antrim countrysideNorth Antrim countryside
North Antrim countryside

All sheep are put out to graze in pastures, which may be used by many farmers. In order to know which sheep belong to who, they paint a mark on each sheep. Sort of like cattle branding except this is permanent.
The Giants CausewayThe Giants Causeway
The Giants Causeway

http://www.northantrim.com/giantscauseway.htm
The Giants CausewayThe Giants Causeway
The Giants Causeway

While these rocks may look like their stacked by humans, they are not. Volvanic, water and weather conditions have caused the rocks to split in this manner.
The Giants CausewayThe Giants Causeway
The Giants Causeway

ok like their stacked by humans, they are not. Volvanic, water and weather conditions have caused the rocks to split in this manner.


Tot: 0.385s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 9; qc: 48; dbt: 0.1168s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb