Full Schedule


Advertisement
Published: August 20th 2007
Edit Blog Post

We had a full schedule on our 2nd day in Ireland, that started with the Ulster Folk Museum. This place is absolutely FULL of old planes, trains and automobiles. We started in the train section, which we had visited as kids. The trains have arrived here from all over Ireland, and vary in size, from tiny guiness carrying carts to massive steam engines.

Kids are allowed to clamber all over the trains, and us big kids did as well. Just as we were heading into the automobile section, our Unlce David, and Aunty Jill showed up, with their friendly grandson, Fraser. It was fabulous to see our relies again!! David hasn't changed much...and still loves having a laugh and pulling your leg.

We managed to squeeze in the three levels of machines, before heading into the second area of the museum, an actual folk village. You really need a full day to explore everything here. The village has so many buildings, from a cinema, to a school, to actual working farms. You can walk through all the old buildings, and smell the lovely peat fire places burning, while some of the costumed residents offer you a cuppa if you're lucky.

Our final stop at the old sweeties shop allowed us all to grab a sugar rush before heading home. We were able to have a quick rest, before meeting up with the same crew for a spot of mini golf. We took on the Captain's Course, and had a ball. There were plenty of funny surprises along the way, including water spraying totem poles, and loud firing cannons. A few of our group got wet, but we did manage to finish the course (all 7 of us!) Ryan came in first, with a score below fifty, and KB came in last...not that she was fussed!

Straight across from the putt-putt, there is an ice-skating rink, so we put on our skates, and took to the ice...well, us young ones and dad did. Mum decided to sit this one out, and Dave, Jill, Fraser and Grandad had to head home. It was weird doing laps on ice instead of a roller-skating rink, but we all managed to stay upright, and I even had a little go at skating backwards - for about 5 seconds!

Iz wanted to go flat out, no matter his skill level, so while he whizzed around, dad, KB and I got mum to take a few photos, to remind us of the last time. Ryan had wisely decided to put hang his skates up before he did have a fall, and we weren't far behind him. It was such a fun day - reminiscing and catching up with family. With our legs sore from skating, we headed home for a cuppa and a biscuit, and then a much needed nap!


Additional photos below
Photos: 27, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Fireman AlanFireman Alan
Fireman Alan

Dad, Frazer and Mum with an old relic.
MatchingMatching
Matching

Autny Jill looking tanned!


Tot: 0.05s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0291s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb