Unguided Tour inside Belfast City Hall


Advertisement
Published: April 4th 2007
Edit Blog Post

LAST APRIL (2007), ANOTHER MEMORABLE EVENT was held at the city hall - a week of Titanic celebrations. This was the 4th year that the city hall held this exhibition in commemoration of the Titanic.


This exhibition presented the development of the ship - from construction until the present day and beyond. There were images, artifacts, talks/seminars and stories presented during the whole week of celebration.
This is the main reason why I decided to explore (since I was not able to attend last year centennial celebration) unguided this Portland stone made political icon of Belfast which was opened in 1906. The construction started in 1896 with the cost of £360,000.

I always visit the city centre during weekend and not really bothered to visit the city hall ground and to see its grand interiors. Maybe because I feel that it is not a rush to do it since I will be living Belfast for a while so there is always another chance to have guided tour in the future. Anyway, my visit did not explore every detail of the city hall, but I was able to move around its spacious grounds, interiors, staircases, great hall, but except the Council chambers which could be explored in a guided tour.


Briefly, I had images of the Titanic exhibitions, some of the statues and monuments outside the city hall, and also its grand architectural ceilings.

This is only an initial visit and hoping that I will have a guided tour and will have the opportunity to meet the Lord Mayor.

Did you know that the City Hall in Durban, South Africa is almost the replica of this impressive Belfast City Hall which was built in 1910?







Additional photos below
Photos: 35, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.42s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 12; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0811s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb