Another Day at Belfast City Hall Ground


Advertisement
Published: May 26th 2007
Edit Blog Post

OVER THE WEEKEND I was able to visit the city for my regular swimming at Queen University Sport’s Physical Centre besides the Botanic Gardens. Prior to my swim, I decided to take my late lunch at the Filipino restaurant, Kainan Café and did sing some Karaoke songs.


Singing with 'magic mic' happens every Saturday and having that somehow improve my singing prowess and hopefully to be qualified for the next season of the X Factor (UK version of American Idol)…hahaha. Well, not to be carried away with my confession, frankly I did win a grand prize in singing when I was in high school, and that was history.

Anyway back to my visit to the city. After my lunch I proceeded towards the city hall and have my 30 minutes walk to reach Queen’s. But my eyes were caught by people coming in and out of the city hall with white bags at their hands. With my curiosity, I went in and found out that there were stalls installed, full of different things - from clothes to food, from jewelries to ornamental plants. I decided to stay for a while to roam around. This is an annual event sponsored by Belfast City Council which for the past two years living in Belfast I am a regular visitor. For this year, stalls will be open from 25 to 28 May 2007 at the ground of the city hall which also helping to celebrate the 5oth anniversary of the European Union.

Continental Market

Quoted from the official city website, for this year’s theme - Continental Market

provides a truly international shopping experience with traders from France, Spain, Germany, Holland,
Belgium, Italy, Greece, Tunisia, Iran and Poland. Some of the food, drinks and other products on sale include:
cheese, fresh bread, anchovies and an array of fruit and vegetables from France; olives from France, Greece
and Italy; pates, rich biscuits and cakes from Brittany; Paella from Spain; Tartiflette from France; Swiss food
products including cheese soups, fondue and chocolate; German Bratwurst sausages and beer; rare meats
from around the world such as kangaroo, ostrich and alligator; Aunt Sandra's Traditional Irish Sweets; leather
goods from Paris; crystal, silk ties and scarves from Italy; speciality crafts and jewellery; specialist soaps from
Marseille; and ornamental plants such like cactus.

Anyway, I just realised that it was too late to proceed with my swimming since the pool closes at 530pm. So I spent my few hours taking photos of some interesting food and plants display. Later on, I just find my self carrying a white plastic bag of 12 small pots of assorted cactus at 5 pounds for the whole set.

By the way, on the same day at 12 noon, there was also a colourful parade in honor of the Lord Mayor and also a celebration for the end of his term in office. This is also an annual event where street performers and colourful floats moving between the Cathedral Quarter and the city hall. I only got some images of the remaining performers going towards St Anne’s Cathedral.

Looking forward to next year's celebration!



Additional photos below
Photos: 24, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

Trivago - My e-travel world companionTrivago - My e-travel world companion
Trivago - My e-travel world companion

[url=http://www.trivago.co.uk/]Please "CLICK" here for link of: www.trivago.co.uk[/url]


Tot: 0.481s; Tpl: 0.027s; cc: 12; qc: 58; dbt: 0.114s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb