as the adventure heats up, the weather is staying put!


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England
March 14th 2011
Published: March 17th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Hi everyone, finally got my act together and compiled another blog entry.

... these last 5 days; a time of getting lost, card playing (and winning) and sight-seeing.

So these first 3 weeks of my time abroad aren't busy with plans, just a nice time to relax for a while and spend some time with family. I've spent a lovely afternoon with my aunty & uncle, Martin and Jackie and cousins Will and Jess with her partner Steve and also my second cousin George. We dined at The Lock Inn, sitting down to a delicious pub meal and also a brief chat to owners Dick & Jane.

Indulging in Aunty Beryl's jam every morning is always a great start to the day, spread on top an English Brekkie Muffin = delicious! On the topic of food, pastys are the thing to have here in the UK, the variety and choice you get with them is pretty superb without hitting the hip pocket. Maybe every day so far for lunch isn't doing any favours for the ol' ticker, though still hits the spot nicely.

Martin & Jackie are looking after me, spoiling me to a delicious meal every night and of coarse letting me reside in their B&B. Jackie got her entertaining boots on last night, inviting her regular Wednesday night crew around for gin and trifle! Martin likes to think he can play cards, he does put up a good game though he knows he comes second best.

As for sight-seeing, I've taken a ride in an open top bus around Bath exploring all the hot-spots downtown. Boarded a train into Bristol to see the ss Great Britain which was amazing, as was the Cabot Circus - a shopping mall built similar in looks to that of a boat, architecturally built to suit the nautical history of the town. Today, Jackie took me to see Westbury white horse, which is actually a horse carved onto a hillside with chalk. There are 7 horses around the area, and in terms of their history no one knows why they are there.

For the weather, English skies have been full of sunshine, bloody cold and only had a little drop of rain last night which is the first since my arrival. We've had lows of -4 and max temps of about 14, maybe Spring is coming late this year...

I've become a regular to Caffe Nero (much the same as Gloria Jeans), a franchised coffee chain with friendly staff and they make a great latte!

Heading downtown to London on Sunday!


Additional photos below
Photos: 27, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.09s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 11; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0366s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.2mb