Snow in Chester


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England
March 1st 2010
Published: March 1st 2010
Edit Blog Post

Slight delay in updating due to lack of signal.

Well we made it to Chester in time for Suzie’s 21st birthday - am I really that old - although we seem to be taking the snow with us. Suzie and Rob managed two nights in the van with us, it was great to wake up with Suzie on her birthday and we had great fun at the Blue Planet Aquarium. Trevor joined the ‘young ones’ at Suzie’s party and seems to have made some new best friends, I may leave him there. While in Chester Trevor attempted to make some beer, haven’t tried it yet but it looks okay. There seemed to be some sort of festival going on in Chester and we saw cheese rolling and a pancake race - very strange but fun. One morning we were woken by the sound of the awning collapsing under the weight of all the snow but were too busy enjoying the snow to deal with it for a while. Although it was quite cold (read freezing) we explored the canal and locks in and around Chester, it was surprising how many people were living on their narrow boats. We also went to Ellesmere Port as we wanted to see where the Manchester Shipping canal joined the Shropshire Union canal. This was quite fascinating and we could see the remains of unloading berths next to some of the modern factories. From there we could also see the river Mersey which we then looked down at from the memorial at Frodsham. From Chester we were headed for the Peak District but received a phone call at 10 o’clock the night before we were due to leave to say they were snowed in. We weren’t too worried as the caravan was booked in at the menders first thing the next morning and we thought this would give us a couple of hours to sort something else out, however the menders fixed it immediately and we were stranded on the side of a dual carriageway phoning sites to find somewhere to go. Luckily we got booked into a lovely site next to Delamere Forest. Had five lovely days tramping around the countryside, and having a puncture fixed on the car - once again it threw it down with snow - will it ever stop!

Headed for the Forest of Bowland (Lancashire we think) perhaps the snow won’t be able to find us.



Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



Tot: 0.064s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0458s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb