Day trip to Bath Spa


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England
September 17th 2009
Published: September 29th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Today we journeyed 90 minutes west of London to Bath Spa to see the waters that the Romans bathed in. It was another gorgeous day and another gorgeous city. We did the free city tour and then checked out the Fashion Museum, which had outfits representing the style of all the periods dating back to the 19th century. It was really wild to see the progression of all the fashion through underwear to bathing suites to ball gowns. We even got to see what it was like to wear a corset and those big poofy underskirts (pictures coming soon!)

We also took a peek into the Jane Austen Center, where she used to live and write. Everything in there reminded me of Vanessa-she would have loved it. We also crossed the Pentley Bridge, which has shops on each side rather than the view of the water below. The shops are so small that you can see people crossing the bridge through the windows on the other side--strange. Then we headed to the Roman Baths, where we walked on the same ground that the Romans walked on, and learned about how they used the natural hot springs for healing and relaxation purposes. It was really interesting seeing history right before our eyes. So tangible.

We then had afternoon tea in the Pump Room, which used to be the main hall for social gathering and balls back in the day. Such a cute atmosphere and the afternoon snack hit the spot.

On the train ride back to London, Mama and I feel asleep and had so much energy that we took a long walk down the south bank of the Thames. It was such a lovely night and the relaxing walk made it really sink in that I'm going to be living here for the next 3 months!


Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement



Tot: 0.187s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0574s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb