Stonehenge


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England
September 6th 2005
Published: September 13th 2005
Edit Blog Post

Today’s big tourist sight was Stonehenge. Like most people, I studied all about Stonehenge in school, so it was at the top of my “hit list.” Upon arriving at Stonehenge I was surprised that it was just located next to the side of a country road. Nevertheless, it was really cool to see.

Stonehenge was built approximately 5,000 years ago. It is believed that the ditch was dug with tools made from the antlers of red deer and, possibly, wood. About 2,000 BC, the first stone circle was set up. The stones used in that first circle are believed to be from the Prescelly Mountains, located roughly 240 miles away. No one is quite sure how all of the stones were brought to the site as they are quite heavy.

Apparently, you use to be able to walk right up to the stones and touch them but in the 80’s there was a riot with some hippies for the solstice. Now there is an outlined pathway that you must stay on, but you can still get pretty close.

After a full day of touring, we headed back to Bristol to take part in a pub quiz night with Ian’s friend Rob with whom we were staying. It was really funny. I’ve never seen a pub so quiet. Everyone was huddled around their table waiting for the next question to be announced. We were doing really well and thought we might win it. While I was away in the bathroom they asked the questions that if we got it right would have assured us the #1 spot. The question was - what color does an Indian bride wear. Having been to several Indian weddings I knew the answer was “red”. My team answered “black”. We still made second place though.



Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



Tot: 0.148s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 64; dbt: 0.0909s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb