More stars, ride on the Thames and Harry Potter


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England
June 22nd 2018
Published: June 22nd 2018
Edit Blog Post

Michelin Star Count: Day 2: 4 Trip to date: 7



So after a good nights sleep (I actually slept for 8 hours - I cannot remember the last time that happened!) we got up had a light breakfast and headed down to the docks for a ride on the Thames. We spent about 2 hours riding up and down the Thames, seeing some really nice homes bordering the river and enjoying some cream scones. The British make a damn good scone!



After the boat ride we disembarked at the Waterside Inn, a 3 Michelin star restaurant bordering the Thames here in Bray. This resto has had its 3 star rating for something like 20 years. 3 course tasting menu started with duck pate wrapped in pastry with pistachio nuts and foie gras. Normally not a big fan of terrines but this was something pretty spectacular. Second course was a sea bass or spring chicken and both were had at the table. Clearly you can see why this is a three star restaurant. Dessert was a choice of coconut iced parfait and cherry clafoutis. Again, both were had at the table. Dessert was nothing special but not an uncommon to find that awesome restaurants disappoint at dessert.



After lunch was a hop in the car for a ride to Oxford for a tour of the university where a lot of Harry Potter was filmed. We were running late after lunch and a wrong turn off the roundabout meant we were really late arriving so the tour was cut short. But we did get to see some of the school and the library from Hogwarts, some of the hallways where scenes were shot and lastly a large tree that was the location for a major scene in the film. Short but sweet. Wish we could have seen more but a reason to come back. Kids thought it was cool so maybe...



Dinner was at the 1 star gastro pub The Royal Oak. A small little resto about 8 minutes from Bray in the countryside and a really good meal. Was our first a la carte meal of the trip and around the table chorizo muffins, scotch eggs, tomato salad and wood pigeon were had for starters. Dinner was comprised of roasted bass, carver duck breast and venison. WOW! An amazing meal. If you are in this part of the world, certainly worth the drive. A walk around the garden full of fresh herbs helps explain how the food tasted so good! Oh...and the best dark and stormy I have ever had.



Off to Stonehenge first thing tomorrow and Salisbury cathederal in the afternoon. And a little more food!


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement



Tot: 0.088s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 5; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0449s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb