A day in Salisbury and Stonehenge


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Wiltshire » Stonehenge
November 4th 2012
Published: March 3rd 2018
Edit Blog Post

On a wet Sunday morning, we took a bus from Bournemouth to Salisbury and then Stonehenge.

Arriving at Stonehenge, we rented a pair of audio guides and walked our way towards the Stonehenge stones. Stonehenge is an ancient stone circle. It has an outer circle and an inner circle. The stone circles comprise of stones placed vertically to form a circle and another set stones placed horizontally on top of the vertical ones. It is said to have been evolved between 3000 B.C and 1600 B.C and is aligned to the rising and setting of the sun. But they say, the exact purpose still remains a mystery.

After Stonehenge, we drifted off to Old Sarum, which has 5000 years of history. Old Sarum is a fort on a hilltop. It dates back to time before the Roman invasion. There is nothing much to see except the remains of a castle which is reduced to nothing but bunds.

Post lunch, we took a bus to Salisbury and walked down to Salisbury Cathedral. How beautiful the cathedral was! The inside of the cathedral was stunning. The high arched ceilings , the arcs supported by the pillars on either sides of the hall, were a treat to the eyes.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.048s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 12; qc: 31; dbt: 0.0173s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb