First days in the UK - Salisbury


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Wiltshire » Salisbury
May 29th 2013
Published: June 16th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Museum of Army FlyingMuseum of Army FlyingMuseum of Army Flying

Cool entrance doors.
It is a long flight from Brisbane to Heathrow - used my stop over time in KL to catch up on e-mails and things I didn't get finished before leaving home. We were quickly through customs and met Michael's brother and wife in the departure area - although we had planned to meet at the airport - we just "bumped" into each other.

We all stayed together in an airport hotel and had a good catch up - but it was early to bed for me. The hotel was soo hot - even though it was raining there - the heating was on - we were looking to open some windows and get some fresh air.......this has been a regular thing for us so far - opening windows in rooms wherever we go.

With breakfast done and all packed up we headed to the car rental place to pick up our cars. We separated at this stage and with the aid of Michael's GPS (nicknamed Karen) we managed to find our way out of London and on our way to Salisbury - which would be our first stop. I was very excited about going to Salisbury to see the Cathedral - I was fascinated by it when it was used as the final shot on the mini series based on Ken Follett's Pillars of the Earth.

First impressions were - how green everything was. I loved looking out over the green fields but my view was hidden regularly by the hedge walls on each side of the rather narrow roads - well, compared with our Australian roads anyway. I just think I am a bit short to be able to see over the hedges - maybe I need a baby booster seat!!!

We diverted - not planned - to see visit the Museum of Army Flying at Stockbridge (www.armyflying.com). This is something that Michael is interested in and I was ready for a cup of tea - so we spent some time there. They had a great variety of displays - including various planes - but the museum was divided into sections depicting various battles and incidents - which were very informative and interesting.

I have noticed that most museums, historical landmarks, churches, etc have some type of "trail" or "codes" or activities for children incorporated in their displays - in this Army Flying Museum the kids seemed to love these activities. They also had simulators where kids could try to pilot a helicopter and land a plane.

The ladies in the Museum shop and cafe were very excited as they were telling us the story about how Prince Harry and his bodyguard had dropped in for breakfast the previous week - his visit made their day, week, probably year, I think.

Still suffering a bit from the flight - we made it to Salisbury and finally found a great place to stay - a bit over our budget but it was so nice to have a warm, welcoming, comfortable place to regenerate as we were feelign ab it tired and disorganised. We had our evening meal in a local pub and shared in the banter about the international football match that was "live" that night on the pub's TV.

Amazing how quickly it is to start a conversation and share information in these situations - all good fun. Michael was enjoying trying different beers - as he brews his own beer at home he was in brewing heaven - the beginning of a romance between him and every local pub in the UK I think - every pub has its own Real Ale from what I can gather and I think Michael is going to try them all.

Next morning - off to see Salisbury Cathedral - WOW. (www.salisburycathedral.org.uk) The cathedral was built between 1220 and 1258 and bears the hallmarks of early English gothic style - the cathedral has a 70m long nave, amazing stained-glass windows, tombs of famous people. The first person we met when entering the cathedral was a volunteer who had a friend who lived in Toowoomba (we have met so many people who have either been to Toowoomba, have a relative who is living or last lived there, and so on - small world).

While we were there there were several sculptures scattered around the garden area that surrounds the cathedral.

The cathedral also houses one of the four surviving original copies of the Magna Carta - the historic agreement made between King John and his barons in 1215 that acknowledged the fundamental principle that the monarch was not above the law. This document was housed in a separate area called the Chapter House and no photographs were allowed in this area. It was
Salisbury CathedralSalisbury CathedralSalisbury Cathedral

Front of cathedral
a beautiful round room which let light in from stained-glass windows that went around the whole upper section of the room. I also found interesting the individual woven cushions that adorned the cold seating areas.

But it was the spire that was so impressive - trying to imagine how this was built. The spire is 123m tall and was added din the mid-14th century, and is the tallest spire in Britain. It was an enormous technical challenge for its medieval buildings - it weights around 6500 tons and required an elaborate system of cross-bracing, scissor arches and supporting buttresses to keep it upright. A priest showed me where to stand beside one of the supporting buttresses to look up and you can clearly see that the weight of the spire has buckled the four central piers of the nave.

We had planned to do a Tower Tour as well - although I am not that good with heights it seemed like a good idea while we were there - but, due to a misunderstanding with the reception people, we missed out on the opportunity - not sure that I was very upset about it all really.

After
Salisbury CathedralSalisbury CathedralSalisbury Cathedral

Section of the roof
a quick walk around town - where I have never seen so many Op Shops - we had to keep moving. Although there is a lot more to see around Salisbury and its surrounds, we headed for Cornwall.


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

Salisbury CathedralSalisbury Cathedral
Salisbury Cathedral

Pressure on one of the supporting buttresses
Salisbury CathedralSalisbury Cathedral
Salisbury Cathedral

I lived the more modern cloths that were used throughout the cathedral - really nice works
Salisbury CathedralSalisbury Cathedral
Salisbury Cathedral

Roof and end stained glass windows.
Salisbury CathedralSalisbury Cathedral
Salisbury Cathedral

Sculptures in the garden
Salisbury CathedralSalisbury Cathedral
Salisbury Cathedral

Garden sculpture


Tot: 0.112s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0813s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb