Ancient Stone Circles & Other Monuments


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Wiltshire » Avebury
December 22nd 2007
Published: January 7th 2009
Edit Blog Post

With an early start we headed for Avebury to see the 335 metre diameter ancient stone circle, flanked by older massive ditches and embankments (dating possibly from 3400 BC). The town itself was especially pretty with thatched-roofed Elizabethan style buildings, atmospheric old stone church and church yard which was sited at one end of standing stone starcens.

Not far away was 40-metre high Silbury Hill built from chalk (dating from 2750BC) and the West Kennett Long Barrow, a tomb complex (dating from about 3600 BC and apparently in use until about 2500 BC). Further South was the famous Stonehenge, where surrounding earth and ditch works date to 3100 BC and the bluestone monument dating from perhaps 2500 BC. All these were most impressive in both their longevity and mystery.

We arrived at Stonehenge only an hour before it was due to close and incidentally before the sun was due to set on mid-winter’s eve. It was therefore a key date for druids and their fellow-travellers and we enjoyed listening to their music and incantations to the coming long night. We lingered with them for a time at their campfire talking and listening to more of their songs.




Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement



Tot: 0.081s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0488s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb