Visit to Wakehurst Place


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » West Sussex » Haywards Heath
September 21st 2020
Published: September 21st 2020
Edit Blog Post

We were going to visit Wakehurst Place at the end of March, but postponed owing to the national lockdown. Mark took days off on 15th and 16th September; we decided to visit there on 16 September.



He checked the bus timetable between Haywards Health and Wakehurst Place and booked a slot for us to enter there at 12.30.



Following one-way system, we entered from the temporary entrance upon our arrival and found the picnic table to have lunch.



After that, we headed for the water gardens via Black Pond and Iris Dell, and walked down to Westwood Lake via Himalyan Glade. Colourful aquatic flowers were blossoming and showed picturesque scenes with winding rivers and stone bridges. Many trees and shrubs retained green leaves. Upon the arrival of Westwood Lake, we followed the footpath and the broadwalks surrounded by the nature reserve, one of Wakehurst’s most evocative conservation hotspots and offered a series of serene and tranquil scenery.



We then headed for Horsebridge Wood. Walking through the temperate woodlands, we found giant redwoods, gum trees and various types of pine trees. The sunny and warm afternoon encouraged us to explore and do a full walk the woodland; we ambled through Coates Wood and Bethelem Wood. Rock Walk was partially close, but we could see a number of ancient trees’ roots growing on the rocks near the Rock Walk’s footpath.



When we reached Millennium Seed Bank, I realized I’d dropped my facemask somewhere, and we went to the gift shop. I bought a new facemask there. We were instructed to follow the one way system; we were asked to walk around the building of the visitor centre to go to the toilet and to return to the garden.



We strolled through the walled garden next to Mansion. As expected, there were myriads of colourful and scented flowers blossoming and bumble bees were receiving nectars.



Afterwards, we went back to Millennium Seed Bank. I wore the new facemask that I had bought at the gift shop. We saw several laboratory scientists working in there.



It was a lovely and pleasant day to immerse through beautiful gardens and peaceful woodland on 16th September 2020.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.106s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 33; dbt: 0.0516s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb