We're Off


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Surrey » Egham
October 12th 2009
Published: October 12th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Tim has the keyboard: We are off at last. Now sitting on the flight from Auckland to Seoul the past few days have been a blur of packing, tidying, grooming the property and generally losing sleep over the nay things we thought we would forget. Thanks to all who helped out as we have got ready. I know I will forget some of you but special mentions go to everyone who entertained Kirby and Gemma over the holidays while Linda and I stressed, Anna and Craig for the urgent loan of the trailer, to Alexa and Kevin for taking sheep sheering off the agenda for our final day, to Jean for helping out everywhere and to you all for your good wishes, cups of tean and coffee and an endless stream of goodbye meels. Finally a special thank you to Dean and Debbie in Auckland for inviting us to stay in the midst of their home renovations…oh yes and for the gift of the NZ power multiboard - every kiwi travellers essential.

The drama of our departure from home is finally behind us. The dishwasher is replaced after its last minute breakdown, Mason is hard at work on the pool and the irrigation that sprung an unplanned leak on Monday now seems to have settled down. Phew!

After only four years living in Nelson we have been overwhelmed by the kindness of so many people and of the people who are making the trip possible with many kind offers to help us with the “farm” while we are away. When the plane took off from Auckland about 4 hours ago I felt a repeat of the great pride I hold for NZ that I first experienced when we arrived here 15 years ago. We can’t wait to get away but already I am sure we will love coming home in 12 months.

Our trip to Auckland has gone swimmingly well, The zoo, the old haunts of Devonport, a visit to ANZ to catch up with old friends and (for the girls) , fish and chips on Cheltenham Beach and a return to North Head Battery aka The Bear Caves - scene of many an hour of fun when we lived nearby. Hightlight for Kirby is no surprise - A trip to the Albany Mall. Biggest downer so far? No in flight TV’s to entertain the kids on this 12 hour flight despite Flight Centre’s promise of them.. Thank goodness super mum packed a huge carry on of entertainment.

Tonight (Saturday) we will be at the airport hotel in Seoul.

Two days later (Monday): The night in Seoul involved a lot of hanging around but the flight WAS very cheap. Airport hotel was not at airport at all but downtown 1 hour on the bus. Our tired girls didn't need it but in the end a comfy bed and a hotel buffet breakfast went down a treat. Second leg to London now all done too and we are safely ensconced in Paul's home near London. It is hard to believe that it is two years since we were here as we feel so at home. The sun is shining and we have just got back from a family stroll in Windsor Great Park. The girls are playing in the kitchen, Linda has just headed out for a fast walk round the country lanes to burn off two days of airline food while I am catching up on the admin and blog.

Tomorrow we head off "Up North" to visit family for a few days.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.128s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0418s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb