Flatford


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Suffolk » Flatford
November 26th 2010
Published: November 26th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Situated on the border between Suffolk and Essex, Flatford, Debham Vale, was the base of the British landscape painter, John Constable’s works. The Stour River, wooden boats, Willy Lott’s House, Flatford Mill, The Lock, Valley Farm, and the scenery of the idyllic countryside, which are shown on the Constable’s works, have been maintained as in his paintings.

When John Constable produced pastoral paintings around Flatford, there were several boat buildings. There is a pair of the reconstructed boat buildings next to the Bridge Cottage. One of the famous paintings, i.e. Boat Building is displayed at Victoria & Albert Museum in London. Constable’s paintings are displayed with the commentary in the Bridge Cottage in the centre of Flatford. There are also walking tours related to Constable’s paintings.

Visitors are able to hire the authentic wooden boats from the pier near the Bridge Cottage. Between spring and autumn, pleasure boats are run. The passengers can enjoy the views of meadows during the boat ride. You can also book the pleasure boat for the wedding receptions and ceremonial occasions.

Moreover, it is a good idea to do short walks. The courses and maps can be found at the National Trust shop. Walking courses take you to the riverside walks, meadows, woodland, historical spots, and the Locks, and show idyllic landscapes from place to place, and it reminds you of the time when Constable painted the masterpieces.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.132s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 14; qc: 57; dbt: 0.0789s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb