Somerset 1 - Wells Cathedral/Berkley Castle and the SS Great Britain


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Somerset » Wells
September 19th 2008
Published: December 17th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Wells Wells Wells

The Bishops palace
Sometimes you find yourself with a bit of time on your hands and are never quite sure what to do with it. Too far to go to France. By the time you drive 5 hours to the Tunnel and then to Calais the first day had disappeared and only two are left before the same 5 hour journey home. It is at this time if the weather permits that a short break in this country seems the only sensible option. The problem usually is where to go. Too far and the time is wasted - too close and you dont feel as if you have been away.

We have a list of places to visit - The Lake District - the last time I went it poured with rain and memories of the area are not great. I suppose it could look very different on a dry and sunny day. The borders of Scotland particularly on the east coast. Many trips across the border have been had but most to the west coast. So much unexplored country around Berwick. Why is it that if you live in the West you seem to keep to that coast and not explore across the country to the eastern side. Roads I imagine - North/South easy but East/West not so good . As we found to our horror years ago travelling to Norfolk. Then there is Northumberland - like Scotland always missed on the way home and Whitby on the North Yorkshire coast. All lovely in their own right but they didnt seem right for us this time.

Pin in map we chose Gloucestershire and Somerset. Both counties rich in history, pastoral, lush and green but ones you pass through along a motorway going somewhere else. We have by passed Bristol many times on our way to Devon and Cornwall so pin put in map again and Wells and Gloucester came out as our magical mystery trip destination. So much more fun when you have no idea at the start where you intend to end up. This is something we must do more often.

With a quick booking to a Premier Inn in Bristol made we set out early on the Friday morning. The plan was to get away early, miss the traffic and be at our destination by 9. The weather was good and there seemed little traffic on the M6 which was a blessing and we were on target to arrive on time. This would give us the opportunity to take in the cathedral and sights around the town before moving on to Berkley Castle and the SS Great Britain. The car ate up the miles as we headed south. We arrived on time to market day in Wells. A pretty little town with ample parking, a vibrant and interesting high street and a market in full swing. Wells boasts a moated palace built by the Bishops of Wells and Bath. There are stunning riverside walks around the walls giving ample opportunity to see ducks and swans gliding on the water. A portcullis leads to the medieval palace and the 14 acres of both formal and informal gardens. Very peaceful and tranquil inside the walls.

Across the village green and close to the almshouses we saw the magnificent site of the cathedral said to be one of the most beautiful in England. It certainly could give some French Gothic cathedrals a run for their money. The present cathedral was founded in 1175. The exterior covered in a multitude of statues all of which probably were highly coloured in the
Bristol Bristol Bristol

SS Great Britain
middle ages. The west front was truly magical. Inside was no let down either with complete cloisters and chapter house. If you ever want to see one truly great building in the gothic style visit this one.

Our second visit of the weekend was to Berkley Castle in the nearby county of Gloucestershire. Built in the 11th century it too is a beautiful building with a murky past. Made famous for the murder of the King Edward II in mysterious manner. Read your history books on this one or Google it!!!

The gardens which were terraced were fabulous full of late summer bedding and perennials. Colour everywhere on the terraces below the castle.

The Premier Inn was clean, tidy and the staff helpful but there was a touch of noise from the neighbouring road. We ate our evening meal in the pub attached . A Tex/Mex establishment - steaks and burgers the mainstay of the menu. Not much good for vegetarians.

Our last day was spent in Bristol. Arriving early before the dockyard where the SS Great Britain was berthed opened we parked up and walked along the riverbank and the quay. Modern up market town
Wells Wells Wells

The Cathedral
flats and penthouses were either built on the quay or were in the process of being built. It seemed that much regeneration was going on around the harbour. People jogged along the riverbank, canoes were put into the water and couples paddled their way down the river. It seemed a hive of activity. We walked to the opposite bank and found the statue to Cabot on the harbourside and a replica of his ship the Matthew in which he sailed and found America.

The main reason for our visit to Bristol was to see the SS Great Britain a great big hulk of a ship built by Brunel. Built of iron this amazing machine crossed the Atlantic in record time. Life for the Victorian seagoer was shown in all its glory in 1st class down to the harsh reality of 3rd class steerage. We imagined our relatives sailing on such a ship in 1905 from Liverpool bound for New York and a new life. The journey must have been incredibly difficult for the 3rd class passengers who paid something like 10/- for the crossing. The engine room smelled of oil and coal you could imagine the heat and the dust generated from the huge boilers which produced the steam to make the ship move. There is even a sea of glass into which the ship is planted so that visitors can go below to see the hull of the ship as it would have been in the water and admire its construction. There was even the opportunity to speak to Mr Brunel himself . A fun day out of kids but also for fun loving adults with an interest in ships, the sea and all things maritime.

What a weekend - a castle with a dark history, the fastest ship of its day and the finest Gothic cathedral in England. What more could you ask for?

Advertisement



Tot: 0.06s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 16; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0325s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb