More black snot! Eww....


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Somerset » Taunton
September 21st 2006
Published: September 21st 2006
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Bristol & Exeter locations


Before you start, I'll have to warn you, this is a long blog! Sorry!

Well, since our last entry Charles has been busily working away. Found that the work ethic here is very different from Australia. Not directed at the nurses or doctors but at the other staff, that generally people are on the cusp of lazy! Maybe that’s why they love Aussies over here. Also, that due to the increased amount of doctors over here that the accountability wanders a little bit, and it’s difficult to ascertain exactly what your duties are. He was happy though, having gained some priceless vascular experience anastomosing a saphenous vein graft (large vein in your leg) to the femoral artery, which he hadn’t done before. Charles is also happy with the team he is working with and in particular his consultant.

“Hi.”

Thanks Charles for that, that was his contribution to this blog! Ha ha. C’mon boy! So much for a dual blog!

As for myself, I’ve been the token house wife to a degree!! Ha ha. Have actually found it amusing how long it takes to achieve the tasks, which you would normally do around work. Not having the internet at home for one, makes a big difference. Instead of completing a few tasks each day, you end up in the library for 4 hours trying to do everything in one foul swoop! Especially preparing an OS trip! Very much looking forward to the arrival of Em, Chris and Dean in now only 1.5 weeks. Busily arranging red topless double decker bus tours around London, accommodation, trains, cabaret shows @ the moulin rouge, Ferrari tours, tuscan horse riding, etc.

And of course night life, I’ve been emailing around and researching to try and find some good bars/clubs which cater for other music apart from ‘hard core’ or ‘hard trance.’ Amongst our researching we have found some good events and also some amazing ones that we have missed. On July the 28th this year, it would have been 2 days post departing Melbourne (if we weren’t delayed), there was a massive collection of DJ’s over 2 nights over here. It was unbelievable, the list was endless and all amazing DJ’s! A lot of which we’d seen over here, Sasha, Digweed, Carl Cox, Fatboy Slim, Armin Van bruen, Deep Dish, Tiesto, Steve Lawler, Pete Tong, Groove Armada, Daft Punk, James Zabiela, Hybrid, Jeff Mills, Nic Francuilli, PVD, Paul Oakenfold, Ferry Corsten, Adam Bayer, Hernan……..shall I continue? Simply amazing. So if you like even one of these DJ’s keep your eyes open for Global Gathering 2007.

Anyhow, back on track, this weekend was going to be Brighton but…. Something has come up. That something is Richie Hawtin @ Fabric, London. So we are going heading back into the city of black snot! Haha. Sounds foul I know, but if you have been to London on the underground you’ll know exactly what I’m talking about (Willis). If you haven’t, take this as a warning. Shall be a lot of fun to see where all of the ‘Fabric’ CD’s originate from. The following weekend pre party crew arriving, we are going to see Danny Howells and surprisingly enough he is the head liner but Hernan Cattaneo is also playing. Prob the man we’ll be going to see. We are heading to Bournemouth were Slinky is held at the Opera House. Good cos it’s close enough to drive to and back home in one evening.

Backdating, last weekend we went to Bristol for the day. Well… that was the plan. After a journey on the M5 motorway, where there incidentally is no speed signs, at all. To set the scene, imagine Charles and I puttttttting along @ 60miles/hr (=100km/hr) as we guessed that would be the limit approximately as per back home. We looked like 2 nana’s with cars whizzing past us @ in excess of 150km/hr!!!! I began to question whether there was a speed limit, maybe it was like an autobarn??

Upon arrival to the industrial Bristol, we struggled to find car parking. Finally did, were charged £2 p/hr (≈$AU5.50: Cheap in comparison to London Chops says), so we raced to see the beautiful Bristol monument grabbed some tucker, then left. By the way, a Caesar salad here, don’t expect bacon, or anchovies or egg cos you won’t get it. Lovely country side on the way home, was delightful to see some farm animals in paddocks again!

I registered today with Office Angels. Had to sit a test which I hadn’t anticipated! Testing maths, spelling, typing (words p/min) and ability to use Word. The typing I felt really slow and hopeless with as I was so nervous! The maths I got 100%!,(MISSING) the typing average after what I thought was a warmup also, intermediate for Word and above 70%!f(MISSING)or typing. The girls there were very friendly, the interview was fine and I was added to a long list of staff. Fortunately, I was called this evening and I’m on the top of the list for work tomorrow. So have to wait and see if I get called at 0830hrs tomorrow.

Charles has met quite a few people through the hospital I believe, I still haven’t really met many people over here. We did though on Saturday after our trip to Bristol venture to one of the local pubs. Here, I enjoyed a fabulous pint of cidar! It was delish…. However it was Swedish. So Sunday we went back for some more, we left to do some shopping and after having to return 3 times (note: we were only 2 shops away) to use the lavatory post a 500ml fluid bolus, we decided to give up and order a Sunday roast. Chops also managed to buy $300 worth of Lonsdale clothing for $80!!!! Well the roast, to start with it was about $AU14 with an alc. beverage and was served on a serving platter!!! It was massive, but also very nice!! Lots of vegies and Yorkshire puddings, was a pleasant surprise. So the pub grub here has proven to be better than the limited number of restaurants we’ve been to. Almost needed a wheelbarrow to transport chops home after he’d eated his and 1/3 of mine!

Having frequent visits from our furry friends next door, they sneak in when you are out the back at washing line. Today I went next door and returned the black boy, planning to get the tabby girl, after walking straight back around the black boy had returned, he’d jumped the fence and was heading straight back on in! Little devils! Cute tho!!

Also went and tried my luck at ‘American Style Kickboxing,’ was good to open a can of whoop ass again but certainly a very different intensity to personal training. A little sore now a few days later but was good fun, it might surprise people how much dance training helps with this sport. In particular the kicks, have also teed myself up for a street dance class next week. Been researching the taunton market for selling my earrings, at present the cost of getting setup may outway any profit, obviously depending on how much sells. I’d have to pay £50 (for stall & yearly membership) + public liability insurance!! However, I’m told they have up to 8,000 people through… food for thought. Haven’t found any boutiques here yet.


I’m sure I’ve bored you enough by now, so I farewell you. Hope you all back home are taking good care of yourselves! I’ve been cooking up a storm here, think we will come back fatties! Add a comment, let us know how you are doing. As for Em, Chris and Dean, can’t wait to paint the down red! Don’t forget your paintbrush Dean!
- Kate Mulvi’s: Call me!
- Ange and Justin: Have a great engagement party!
- Fi: Mum’s going to give u my mobile over here, have a great farewell and a great time in Italy. Eaten that banana you requested!
- Mum & Dad DLR: Looking @ Ferrari tours around Italy! Ooh yeah! Hello to the Boys!

Lots of love, Chops & Kt. XOXOXOX

PS. Still probs with photos, meeting Justyne and Andy in Amsterdam who are hopefully going to be able to assist. xo
NB: This was last night, today I drove to Exeter!! With a very bad map, almost ended in disaster!


Advertisement



25th September 2006

Paint Brush Ready !!!!!
Don't Stress, Have paint brush packed and ready to go... THIS IS GOING TO BE BIG...

Tot: 0.243s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 9; qc: 54; dbt: 0.049s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb