Are we nearly there yet?


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Somerset » Brent Knoll
July 14th 2014
Published: July 24th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Tightly packed in the car with mum, dad and sister, as well as a panting dog squished in-between us is not the best of fun, but there was a sense of excitement as we pretended to be sardines with so much luggage (we never travel lightly). Cornwall awaited us! En-route just a stones throw away from the M5 we stumbled across the village of Brent Knoll - Somerset, when trying too look for a place to walk our Cavalier King Charles Spaniel Elmo, who had stored up more energy than the 'Duracell Bunny'. Although only a 5 minute drive from this major motorway, the village resembled a picture book setting with cosy cottages and a village shop- a time capsule to the past. After asking a jolly gentleman behind the counter we headed up a steep path to the knoll, Elmo leading the way. My sister said she felt like one of the famous five with flasks in hand, sandwiches (courtesy of motorway service station) and picnic blanket. The torturing traffic of the motorway left our thoughts immediately. We enjoyed our picnic, whilst overlooking stunning scenery of the nearby hills where Elmo rested in the forgiving shade of the trees. As we made our way back into the village, the charm woven into this unexpected village unfolded. Rose framed doors and walled cottage gardens lined the peaceful lane, totally different from the road we had just left. As we arrived back at our bursting car we had a slightly tireder dog and were ready to face the last leg of our journey. It definitely beat yet another drab service station!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.062s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0376s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb