Day Thirteen (Sweating through Bath, Stonehenge and London)


Advertisement
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Somerset » Bath
July 25th 2006
Published: July 25th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Despite the lack of air conditioning I got a good night's sleep in my rather modern looking hotel room. Breakfast was unexceptional again. I guess the breakfasts I find unappetizing are the continental ones. This morning's was primarily cereal products and toast. Give me bacon, eggs and baked beans every time. The morning was already stinking hot as we tried to repack the every expanding pile of... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 38, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Saying farewell to BathSaying farewell to Bath
Saying farewell to Bath

We were on a tight schedule and had to be in Stonehenge by 3:00. We only had a couple seconds to hop off the bus and snap our last view of Bath as the tour continued.
Megalitic Barrows near StonehengeMegalitic Barrows near Stonehenge
Megalitic Barrows near Stonehenge

It had been 30 years since the last time I visited Stonehenge but I knew we were getting near when we started passing acres of green fields dotted with grass-covered mounds. Those mounds were burial sites of the early Celtic people.
Tour guide JamesTour guide James
Tour guide James

As if I needed more proof that it was unbearably sunny and hot, James who up until now seemed to have ice in his veins, got off the bus and donned his jungle survival hat. It was so hot that the audio listening devices we were issued were covered with sweat when we returned them at the end of the self-guided tour.
StonehengeStonehenge
Stonehenge

Thirty years ago Stonehenge just sat in a field on the side of the road. Anyone at anytime could come see and touch the bluestones. Today it is surrounded by fencing and access is through an underground tunnel leading to gravel paths that conduct the visitors around the site. At no time do you get any closer than 50 feet from the stones.
How'd they do that?How'd they do that?
How'd they do that?

This engineering feat is still impressive. Nobody really has the answer to how the ancient people accomplished this, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't space aliens like some maintain.
It almost looks like no one was thereIt almost looks like no one was there
It almost looks like no one was there

The place wasn't exactly crowded (except later in the air-conditioned gift shop), but there was a steady stream of visitors continually wandering into my shots. This was one of the few that I got without a bunch of tourists posing.
Is Grandma calling home?Is Grandma calling home?
Is Grandma calling home?

Actually she's listening to the audio tour guide. Not how far away we are from the stone circle.
The HeelstoneThe Heelstone
The Heelstone

This huge rock stands well outside the stone circle. By aligning it with the center of the circle Druids could determine where the sun rose at the Summer Solstice.
I gotta get outta hereI gotta get outta here
I gotta get outta here

As much as I enjoyed Stonehenge I was eager to get out of the hot sun and back on the bus. Leaving Stonehenge we passed by and through the air-conditioned gift shop then overpaid for a couple of Cokes at one of the many refreshment stands. We drove about 2 hours until we reached our hotel in South London.
London hotel a/cLondon hotel a/c
London hotel a/c

Like I said before, I was really looking forward to arriving at our London hotel. I figured Days Inn had to have air conditioning. Once again I was surprised. This was the room cooling system.
On the townOn the town
On the town

After checking-in James gathered us together and led us 5 minutes up the road to the Lambeth North Underground station where he issued us unlimited day travel passes. We traveled as a group to Charing Cross station where we walked a few hundred yards to our dinner. We walked into a crowded, sweltering pub full of noisy office workers on their way home. We were led downstairs to a cool private room where we enjoyed a rather tasty pasta meal. After dinner James led a small group of us across the street to Trafalgar Square.
Lord Nelson MonumentLord Nelson Monument
Lord Nelson Monument

James informed us that this tall monument dedicated to the great English naval hero features an electrical current running through the Admiral's hat to keep the pigeons off. The electricity may keep the birds off his head, but it hasn't curtailed the pigeons' fecundity: the place was packed with the winged rats everywhere we tried to walk.
St. Martin's in the Field churchSt. Martin's in the Field church
St. Martin's in the Field church

Next to Trafalgar Square stands this beautiful church that served as the model for many colonial churches in New England.
Look kids!  Big Ben...House of CommonsLook kids!  Big Ben...House of Commons
Look kids! Big Ben...House of Commons

Our informal walking tour took us down Whitehall past the Royal Horseguards (horsies were in bed at 9:00 when we went by) and 10 Downing Street. A little further along we took in the magnificence of Big Ben.
Westminster AbbeyWestminster Abbey
Westminster Abbey

Our walking tour concluded across the street from Westminster Abbey. We hopped back on the Underground and navigated our way back to Lambeth North. On the short walk back to the Days Inn we purchased a couple beers which we consumed back at the hotel. Fortunately the ice machine in the lobby had some ice left so I took half a bucket up to the room where I iced myself down before going to bed.



Tot: 0.17s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 9; qc: 21; dbt: 0.1294s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb