Much Wenlock


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Shropshire
May 26th 2012
Published: May 26th 2012
Edit Blog Post

One of our main reasons to come back to Shropshire was to visit Wenlock Priory, which was closed when we visited in 2009.



We took the No.426 bus from Abbey Foregate on 21 May. As we got off the bus on the Kings Street, we headed for Wenlock Priory.



We showed our English Heritage Membership cards at the reception and were offered free audio guides. The laurel hedge path led us to the site of the beautiful and peaceful ruins of Wenlock Priory. Our own guided tour started from the nave length of which is 107m, which is thought to be the longest church on the 7th century. We firstly saw the remains of St Milburge’s church, which was built around 680. The audio guide suggested strolling through the former cloister. There were lines of laurel topiaries featuring different animals, herb garden, and the lavabo, which was used as a washing bowl by monks. Elaborately decorated carvings were shown on the surface of the washing bowl. All of these features illustrated the lives and spirits of the monks who lived in the medieval period. We then looked at the chapter house with decorations of the series of arcade on the wall and the library where monks’ manuscripts were kept. Next, we moved to the choir and Lady Chapel, and found the Sacristy, where the Cluniac service was held. The former rectory and infirmary, prior lodging, and its ground have been used by the private owners, but we were amazed at its beautiful garden and distinctive façade on the Prior Lodges, as well as ruins of St Michael’s Chapel and Crypt.



We followed the Olympic Trail starting from the green space opposite to Wenlock Priory. The trail led us to the viewpoint of the Shropshire countryside, former station building, and the avenue walk leading to the windmill. Myriads of garlic flowers were out and growing at the foot of the trees.



Next, we went to the town centre. We looked round the museum. There were a wide variety of collections of documents, coins, agricultural tools, everyday items, and trophies, all of which are related to the nature, history, and contemporary development in Much Wenlock village and countryside. This year is Golden Jubilee Year and the Olympic will be held in London. There were a number of patriotic items celebrating the Jubilee Year and the Royal family and different types of Olympic mascots and goods.



We popped in the tea room. By coincidence, we entered the same tearoom as the last time. We had cream tea for our lunch.



Afterwards, we continued strolling through High Street, popped in the bookshops, delicatessen, and antique shops, and took photos of historic buildings.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.412s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 14; qc: 55; dbt: 0.3386s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb