Our Oxford Odyssey


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Oxfordshire » Oxford
April 9th 2012
Published: April 9th 2012
Edit Blog Post

I love the street signsI love the street signsI love the street signs

We didn't know if this was meant to be spiritual or physical advice.
First let me say thank you for all the great comments. They are so encouraging. We had a fabulous Easter service at the Christ Church Cathedral. They had chairs everywhere in every nook and cranny. We were glad we got there reasonably early, but the 11:00 service didn't start until 11:30 because of getting all the people in and seated. We sat so we could see the Dean deliver the morning message. The pipe organ and the choir were so good. We've gone to concerts and not heard as beautiful music. Then, we went to another Gastropub (known for it's chef & food) and had an amazing roast beef dinner. The potatoes were like scalloped potatoes, but with full cream and lots of butter. Good thing we had walked for an hour & 1/2 before lunch. We didn't eat anything else all day. There are so many colleges that we saw, that they may be running together in my mind so I'll try not to bore you with too many.

Monday will be our last full day here. That time does fly when you're having fun. We plan to go to a large grocery store and stock up on bulky
This is for TrinaThis is for TrinaThis is for Trina

Dorothy Sayers was a contemporary of Agatha Christie.
items since Glenn & Nooni's are just small here in Oxford and you have to carry everything home then. Then, to pre-celebrate Chrissy's birthday, we'll go to one of the earliest established coffee cafes for high tea. Maybe somewhere in there, we'll try to pack.


Additional photos below
Photos: 42, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

Christ Church CollegeChrist Church College
Christ Church College

First glimpse as we come down the street. This is the largest college in Oxford.
Chrissy & the QuadChrissy & the Quad
Chrissy & the Quad

We had to go the opposite side for the Cathedral
CarvingsCarvings
Carvings

These were up above us as we waited to get into the Cathedral.
Waiting to get in.Waiting to get in.
Waiting to get in.

The English seem to love to queue up and we were glad that we were in the front half of the line.
In the CathedralIn the Cathedral
In the Cathedral

We were allowed to take pictures after the service.
In the CathedralIn the Cathedral
In the Cathedral

There were dead people beside us and below us as we worshiped.
The AltarThe Altar
The Altar

This was in the medieval section that dates from the 1200's.
In the CathedralIn the Cathedral
In the Cathedral

This beautiful window was just above the altar.
The pipe organThe pipe organ
The pipe organ

This was in the section added during the Middle Ages.
Wood CarvingsWood Carvings
Wood Carvings

This was an amazing angel.
Wood CarvingsWood Carvings
Wood Carvings

I loved this carving of Jesus teaching.
The PulpitThe Pulpit
The Pulpit

This is why we were able to see the Dean as he read his message to us.
LeavingLeaving
Leaving

It was such a wonderful place to celebrate Easter.
Easter GardenEaster Garden
Easter Garden

In the foyer-like part they had made a small Easter garden. It was great.
Great TomGreat Tom
Great Tom

They name their bells in each college. Great Tom weighs 6 tons and was brought here to Christ Church in 1545. It was renovated in 1680 and is the loudest bell in Oxford.
The last ceiling The last ceiling
The last ceiling

As you leave, by the Porter's lodge, this is a ceiling made up of benefactors' coat-of-arms.
Christ Church GroundsChrist Church Grounds
Christ Church Grounds

They also have a meadow with cows along this path.
Little GardenLittle Garden
Little Garden

Pansies were here in this small garden.
Residence HallResidence Hall
Residence Hall

This was one of the halls where the students live.


Tot: 0.066s; Tpl: 0.02s; cc: 11; qc: 25; dbt: 0.038s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb