Our Oxford Odyssey


Advertisement
Published: April 8th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Old FriendsOld FriendsOld Friends

Chrissy & Jenny enjoying each other. Our daughter, Peggy, was 8 and Jenny was 10 when we moved to NZ.
We traveled about 60 miles Saturday to see our dear friend, Jenny Harmes who has moved here from New Zealand. This area is called the Chilterns and it was quite different from the Cotswolds. We were much closer to London and some of the towns were very new and very big. The countryside though was delightful. Rolling hills with each field marked by hedges. The villages charming with their old churches and usually a pub being the center of the village. Jenny took us for a scenic drive at the Ashridge Estate which is now a National Trust reserve of over 5000 acres of woodland, walking paths and cycling paths. We saw one small herd of deer. It was just about the coldest day, so we were happy to look from the car. The view of "The Chalk Lion" was at the highest point in the estate and was created in 1933 to call attenion to The Whipsnade Wild-life Park above it. The hills are made of chalk and they just scrape off the vegetation in a pattern. Sounds simple, but looks very impressive in person.

Jenny had just shifted(moved) to her house in Hemel Hempstead in the old town
The ArtistThe ArtistThe Artist

Jenny is an artist and loves doing flowers in great detail. She actually works in marketing and designing for some high-end fabric designers
section. So she was in the midst of renovating and painting as we saw her. She was a very gracious hostess and guide through the area. We so enjoyed being with her for the day.

Happy Easter! He Is Risen!


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

FireplacesFireplaces
Fireplaces

Every room had a fireplace. The house was built in the late 1800's. Very structurally sound.
Back GardenBack Garden
Back Garden

Jenny's backyard from up above. Mainly potted plants, but too early to be doing too much outside.
The KitchenThe Kitchen
The Kitchen

It had a very large kitchen for an English house.
My Favorite PictureMy Favorite Picture
My Favorite Picture

This iris has always been one of my favorites of her pictures.
AldburyAldbury
Aldbury

Thatched cottage in Aldbury
Another old homeAnother old home
Another old home

Lovely old place in Aldbury
The Greyhound InnThe Greyhound Inn
The Greyhound Inn

Where we had lunch
The Chalk LionThe Chalk Lion
The Chalk Lion

On top of Ivinghoe Beacon, looking across to the lion and Whipsnade animal park.
An early bluebellAn early bluebell
An early bluebell

We stopped at a very ancient forest that will be covered in bluebells soon.
Bluebells again.Bluebells again.
Bluebells again.

In the next week or two, the whole area that is green will be covered with the bluebells blooming.
Bluebells and sheepBluebells and sheep
Bluebells and sheep

They have farms that are owned by the National Trust on the Estate.
Saying good=byeSaying good=bye
Saying good=bye

Jenny in front of her house hugging Chrissy good-bye
Jim & JennyJim & Jenny
Jim & Jenny

Great time with old memories and new expectations.


Tot: 0.193s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 11; qc: 30; dbt: 0.1545s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb