On yer bike ... Oxford


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Oxfordshire » Oxford
April 5th 2008
Published: April 14th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Some random collegeSome random collegeSome random college

I think it's All Souls
It's always a happy time in the UK when friends from back home are in country and there's an opportunity for a nice relaxed catch up (or 20). Last weekend a couple of friends from my Asia trip in 2005 just happened to be in Oxford for a wedding so I decided if they could come all the way from Oz I could spend an hour on a train to go visit them there for a catch up (plus having a free tour guide never hurts!).

I haven't seen James and Amanda for about a year or so although Emily, their daughter I met when she was merely a few divisions in her mother's tummy. Anyone would be suspicious when one of your beer o'clock buddies comes to visit for a long weekend and suddenly favours non-alcoholic bevvies! So last weekend was great not only to catch up but also to take lots of '21st' photos to torture Emily with as at those special times in her life (she's good at throwing a strop!).

Anyway, Friday I got up at a stooopid time to catch a 7.20 train to Oxford - the theory being that I should maximise my
Happy FamilyHappy FamilyHappy Family

well at this point in time - 2 frames earlier Emily was having a right strop. Bring out a camera and it's all smiles!
time with J, A & E as it could be a while before we see each other again. This of course meant that James also had to get out of bed, drive into Oxford from their cottage in Oxforshire and pick me up at about 8.30am. The morning was spent at their cottage, having breakfast cooked for me and generally catching up which was great as the day started out nice and foggy - nothing like spring weather!

Around lunch time we headed into Oxford proper for a wander around the town and the colleges, took squiz at the punts on the canal and then down a little alley way to the 'Turf'. It's one of those places you either need a good guide book or a guide to find as walking past you wouldn't know it was down the alley, except for one brick with a little scrawl ... Turf. The Turf is the pub in which Bob Hawke in his Oxford days set the record for downing a yardglass - there's even a little 'memorial' to his achievement - which is quite good really as it hasn't been beaten.

After lunch more wandering down past Christ
Miss Emily & I Miss Emily & I Miss Emily & I

She loved the pegs
College and some relaxed lounge on the only just damp grass (as opposed to really wet) then back to James & Amanda's place for a pub dinner down the road then the visit was all over and it was a lift back into Oxford for a night in a hostel, a relaxed stroll the next morning then a train back to London before the snow hit!

And that folks is my version of Oxford - no history, not tours - just beer, food and a catch up! For the record those trips are the best!

Love Jane xx


Additional photos below
Photos: 26, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Miss AmandaMiss Amanda
Miss Amanda

Not quick enough to avoid the camera
Bikes are everywhereBikes are everywhere
Bikes are everywhere

... and lots have the cute little wicker baskets
Christ Church MeadowChrist Church Meadow
Christ Church Meadow

Well the edge bit ... pretty
Soaking up some spring sunSoaking up some spring sun
Soaking up some spring sun

Nice day considering it was heavy fog in the morning
Graveyard ...Graveyard ...
Graveyard ...

I like them
Oxford skylineOxford skyline
Oxford skyline

View from Carfax Tower


Tot: 0.054s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0297s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb