Cornbury Park, Charlbury


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Oxfordshire » Charlbury
November 26th 2010
Published: November 26th 2010
Edit Blog Post

The little village, Charlbury, on the west outskirts of Oxford has a 7.5 mile circular walking course which goes around Cornbury House and Park.

The starting point of the train is 200 metres west from the railway station. You will find the signpost for Walcott.

The trail will take you to the grassland containing uphill and downhill paths and uneven surfaces, as well as being parallel with the cycle track. The grassland is home to wildflowers and walkers can see orange poppies, pink roses, and blue geraniums in summer.

The grassland trail ends up at the two-way road near the junction. After crossing over the junction, keep straight on down the avenue flanked by trees. It may not be as exciting as the nature trail to walk with a small volume of traffic.

The tree leads you to the Ranger’s village and stables on the right hand and woodlands of the Cornbury Estate on the left hand. Take the woodland walk which will lead you to the grassland trail, which is home to hares, rabbits, pheasants, and various types of animals and birds.

The trail ends up with the main street of Finstock. Go through the village and turn left after seeing the signpost for Charlbury. The trail take you to the lake with waterfowl and wooden boats, and lovely footpath along the beautiful gardens, Cornbury House, and bridge over the Evenlode River and railway. Both Cornbury House and bridge are made of honey coloured stones like houses in Charlbury village, and it looks very picturesque together with lush countryside.

After leaving the Cornbury Estate, go past St Mary Church and take the left to Charlbury High Street.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.066s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 15; qc: 34; dbt: 0.0366s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb