Boder Moors


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Northumberland
June 16th 2006
Published: June 17th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Weather Report

Overcast to start with deteriorating quickly to low cloud and drizzle. Eventually lifted although most of the day was cloudy with little seen of the sun until late afternoon. Warm(ish).

Not for the first time set off for Alston and changed direction. Saw a sign indicating Grasmere Reservoir only a mile or so off track so took the invitation and headed up there. Surprising at an hour before 8am the centre was open. It was primarily aimed at the fishing fratermity so perhaps that was not surprising. There were already a few working along the banks of the attractive res. Mooched around for a few mins taking photos in the drizzle and then returned to car and on to Alston.

Arriving in Alston I did a little shopping and then ventured into the tiny library and used their pc for an hour - charge £2 !!!! From Alston I headed north towards Haltwistle along a very pretty road. Rest of the day I explored the high moors between Haltwistle and Alston and drove past the entrance to Ridley Hall previously home to both the Bowes-Lyon family (Queen Mother) and me. Not of course at the same time - I was in residence 1971-72 by which time QM had found alternative arrangements.

Returned to Barnard castle along mainly empty roads to find that the campsite had largely filled in my absence - it being Friday evening so all the weekenders were arriving. Had dinner and then used the laundry to wash all my clothes as I am moving on Sunday and have no idea if the facilities at the new site will be comparable.

PLEASE NOTE - NO PHOTS WILL DISPLAYED UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE
SORRY BUT BECAUSE OF AFOREMENTIONED TECHNICAL PROBLEM (!) HAVE TEMPORARY LOST RELEVANT PROG FROM LT. WILL RESUME NORMAL SERVICE FOLLOWING RETURN TO BASE.



Advertisement



Tot: 0.104s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 9; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0514s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb