Final Countdown - 3 Days to go !!


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Northumberland
February 10th 2009
Published: February 10th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


SUNNY SEATON SLUICE





Update - Finished work - Bring on the sunshine and let the good times roll!!

OK first things first - this is strictly a test blog. We are not starting our sabbatical with a month spent touring provincial Northumberland towns starting off with Seaton Delaval. Thats not what is going to happen. The main things we are looking forward to over the next few months are heat, exotic locations, asian food and did I mention heat? The aforementioned are sadly not available in Bedlington, Ashington and the like...

We are both quite nervous now with going away in a few days and that. Pippa (pictured) is safely with her grandparents in Keighley, The cars will soon be SORN'd and the taxi has been booked (thanks Gabby). The next blog posting will (hopefully) be in a couple of weeks time when we may or may not be in Malaysia - Palau Langkawi if memory serves. So please sit back, relax and enjoy the first albeit short blog in this series.

SEATON DELAVAL - Popularly known as Seaton or Delaval (or Seaton Delaval) its a small town in Northumberland. Its most prominent feature is
Crescent Cafe IcesCrescent Cafe IcesCrescent Cafe Ices

Oldest Icecream shop i'v eheard of - apart maybe from nino morelli's on portrush. Except you wont see the owner of the cresent poncing around in a Lambo
a large procter and gamble factory which regularly colours the local air with various aftershave scents depending on which way the wind is blowing and what they are making that day. It is comforting to know that all over the world there are people splashing on aftershave containing among other ingredients delaval water. In fact I think the next Boss fragrance will be Eau d'Delaval - "For men who aren't into that poncey other stuff". Anyway my wife and I have been living here for over two years now and don't have a bad thing to say about the place. A couple of weekends ago we got out and about taking some pics of the local attractions. These included the world famous Cresent Cafe Ices which makes some darned nice ice cream, Delaval Hall which is in the process of being sold to the National Trust and that's about it really.

We also swung by Tynemouth more to see if the waves were any good for surfing - and they weren't. But we took some pics regardless. It was pretty cold and Melissa was getting annoyed while i arsed around with my camera settings. It's a reasonably new camera and i've been trying to get rid of a 'noise' problem on my pictures. For those who don't know or care what noise is, it's when you take pics and parts of them are way brighter than they should be. It's a right pain in the arse. Hopefully I will be able to get this issue sorted out (peter - i said issue!!). In the meantime Melissa and Pippa were cold while i messed around with exposure compensation...

After that fracas we went on up to Whitley where I bought a steak at Nicholson's. I'm currently trying to eat all my favourite foods before going away and living off stirfry and curry. Rib Eye steak has to be right up there with me fav foods. After that we headed over to Seaton Sluice and had lunch at the Kings Arms pub up on the headland there. Was lovely and I recommend that place highly. Took Pip for a walk after but it was getting really windy and cold so we headed back pronto to the car.

Me, Melissa and Gabby (my sister in Law) went out later to seaton sluice again to sample the local nightlife. Sadly the
Tynemouth beachTynemouth beachTynemouth beach

Complete with digital 'noise' at the top of the pic
nightlife finished at 11pm so we only got two hours drinking. Was fun all the same though - we made the most of it.

Anyway hope you have enjoyed the test blog. Please feel free to leave feedback, constructive comments, abuse etc.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



10th February 2009

Yay!
I'm so excited for you both! Can't wait to keep up with your blog :o) HAVE FUN! Love Laura xx
10th February 2009

The Glamorous North East
It sounds so nice i don't know why you are going the whole way to SE Asia! Have a great trip out there and i look forward to the regular updates to make us all jealous here, shivering in the snow. Mike
15th February 2009

Hi you two, only just got round to reading the blog now-but am impressed (Gareth you should take up writing in your spare time-very comical to read). Hope you are having fun already-I'm very jealous and miss you guys already bah blah blah...Oh, and also I have just received an e-mail saying I've got a place in the GNR-Yey!Will keep my eyes open for more blog updates, until then-enjoy your travels! XXXX

Tot: 0.176s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 57; dbt: 0.1233s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb