Pennine Way 17. Twice Brewed and Vindolanda.


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Northumberland » Hexham
September 3rd 2019
Published: September 3rd 2019
Edit Blog Post

Still near Hexham as we‘ve been still most of the day. This is our rest day so walked up to Vindolanda and around the Roman excavations.

Past the pub (we haven’t been able to say that for a while) and up to Vindolanda. There are a couple of novel shots from outside the pub which simply reinforces the positive image of the place I already have. It’s not far to Vindolanda but in the mist, mizzle, wind it’s a boring walk. The excavations and the museum attached to the excavations are pretty good. If you want some museum shots have a look at Julie’s Facebook page as it contains heaps. The only one I took inside is the penis shot! Guides were not available as it’s now the off season which was unfortunate as they have lots of valuable and informative stories that bring the place to life significantly more so than I can.

Then back home mid afternoon which is super early for us. There’s a comfy lounge here where the dog will keep us company which I will avail myself of quite soon. Then as beer o’clock comes around I’ll see what I can do about sampling the local brews. Very impressive line up here but 1 or 2 have descriptions that rule them out. We ate there last night and the meal was really good but super size so in preparation I’ve had breakfast and just a snack for lunch! Always planning!

Longer walk tomorrow taking in some iconic sights early then heading towards Scotland. Unfortunately the weather does not look good and again we head for some boggy terrain. Not a good combination. With about 27 km to walk we could e quite miserable by this time tomorrow. But as I’ve mentioned a couple of times ‘the weather is always better in the pub’.

That’s it.


Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement



Tot: 0.373s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 5; qc: 45; dbt: 0.1429s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb