Saying Goodbye to the Motherland


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » North Yorkshire » Whitby
February 15th 2008
Published: February 22nd 2008
Edit Blog Post

Since we last blogged, we made a last weekend dash to the traditional seaside town of Whitby with the Botterell's (Daniel's boss and extended family to friends we're staying with). We left it to the last weekend in the hope we’d get some good weather. We set off from Sutton on a beautiful mild, sunny Sunday and it stayed that way until we got just over the Moors when we discovered fog, and it was there to stay. So unfortunately we didn’t get any lovely sunny seaside scenes but seeing as Whitby is also the setting of Bram Stoker’s Dracula, the misty fog was appropriate and set the scene for a slightly mysterious and spooky day trip. We did however, manage to get in a nice feast of traditional British fish and chips, with mushy peas and a nice hot pot of tea!

The town also has significance for us Aussies as it is here that “our” Captain Cook learnt the art of ship building and took off on The Endeavour to discover Australia. He wasn’t born here but lived here for a long time so the town has adopted him as “their son.”

Anyway here are a few snaps we got on the day, unfortunately the mist didn’t disappear for us to take any really good ones so you’ll just have to google Whitby to see what it looks like in the summer time!



Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

A Taste of BritainA Taste of Britain
A Taste of Britain

Fish and Chips by the sea with, of course, yummy mushy peas (and a pot of tea which you can't see)
The Eerie Church in WhitbyThe Eerie Church in Whitby
The Eerie Church in Whitby

The fog, while not so good for picture taking made the place that little bit spookier.
Graveyard next to ChurchGraveyard next to Church
Graveyard next to Church

Again, foggy and spooooooky
Whale Bone Arch in WhitbyWhale Bone Arch in Whitby
Whale Bone Arch in Whitby

Not sure of the significance, but the arch is made of bones and the bones are made of whale....
View of Whitby from the BridgeView of Whitby from the Bridge
View of Whitby from the Bridge

Just to prove we're not exaggerating the fog!


Tot: 0.085s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 12; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0537s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 3; ; mem: 1.1mb