North York Moors


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » North Yorkshire » Ravenscar
May 28th 2016
Published: August 2nd 2016
Edit Blog Post

We looked on the www and found there was an archeologist leading a 6 hr walk in the North Yorkshire Moors NP at Ravenscar. Online registration was closed, but we figured we'd drive up just to see. Turned out only four people had signed up, so we were welcome. I've always said I would love to take a long hike with a geologist, so this is next best thing. Really nice folks also. In York's railroad museum I had leared the standard gage for railroad track is 4'-8". They had suggested that actually came from the Romans. (we had been told it was from the height of Queen Victoria, which had great doubt). Anyway, interestingly, there were ruts in some stone that looked pretty close to that width from Saxon times. There were also a number of places where you could see evidence of the Saxon, that we would not have seen on our own.

Bryson had mentioned a pub in a remote area of the moors, so we put the address in the GPS. Sure enough, in the middle of nowhere, at the highest point in the National Park was the Lion Inn and Pub.

Back at the hostel, they also had a caravan park. It is crazy how they squeeze into their spaces.



Osmotherly YHA - http://www.yha.org.uk/hostel/osmotherley


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



Tot: 0.165s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 16; qc: 61; dbt: 0.0689s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb