Glaisdale to Robin Hoods Bay


Advertisement
Published: August 26th 2022
Edit Blog Post

The Final Push.

Up nice and early for the last days walking. A bit of reparation on the feet (which we’re in remarkably good order all things considered) and a light breakfast (plan was to stop at Grosmont to top up) and we were on our way before 8.00am for the final 20 miles or so.

Past the station and Beggars Bridge, we were soon into Egton Bridge, a beautiful little village - so beautiful in fact that they filmed Heartbeat there. Missed a turnoff by the Manor House so added a bit extra to our journey (again). Then through the Fords (checked on Ellis height), before hitting Bernard’s Road - toll road which would have cost us 4d if we’d had a horse and two wheels.

Arrived into Grosmont, which has an cool sign made out of bikes and a nice old fashioned railway station, but lacked the nice cafe we were hoping for (poor planning yet again). So on we pushed up the steep climb from town up back onto the moors.

Next place to come across was Littlebeck, which is also a lovely little village, but the extra special part of Littlebeck is the woods out of town - amazing. A great walk through the woods led us to a 20m waterfall (Falling Foss) and even better, the Falling Foss tea rooms which did the best sausage bap and cup of tea ever!!!

Suitable refreshed we ploughed on through more moors and eventually caught sight of the holy grail - The North Sea! An hour later we were the coast but still 3 miles from our destination. Our feet were getting sore again after around the 17 mile mark, so the last few miles were slow going.

Amazing feeling walking into Robin Hoods Bay after our 12 days on tour. Straight down the steep road and straight to the slipway down to the sea. We’d made it at last. Off with our shoes for a paddle and then threw the pebbles we’d brought from the Irish Sea into the North Sea. Our job was done.

Time for a pint of beer (my first during the walk) and something to eat at Wainwrights Bar next to the slipway. Felt very happy to fill in the visitors book which can only be signed by those having completed the coast to coast path. Then back to our B&B where we had to go back up the steep road to the top of the town - that was even slower going.

Now for some well deserved sleep.

Night, night.


Additional photos below
Photos: 30, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.083s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0489s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb