Day 68 Caldy


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Merseyside » Wirral
June 24th 2018
Published: June 24th 2018
Edit Blog Post

Waking to such beautiful morning, I left early by bike and cycled the stunning cycle ride that runs along a path through Wirral countryside and along the River Dee. I went for approximately 12 miles (20km) before turning around. It follows the track bed of part of the former Birkenhead Railway route from West Kirby to Hooton. I cycled past (in and out of) meadows, heathland and woodland. High stone bridges every few kilometres were passed under too. They added to the romanticism of the countryside. There was a huge variety of birdlife and numerous squirrels scurrying across or along the path. Running parallel to the cycle path is a narrow horse riding trail. It really is a unique area and offers easy access for all of the people who live along this section of the River Dee.

Just before mid-day we cycled into West Kirby, brought a few essentials, checked out how the locals spend a sunny Sunday on the Marine Lake and surrounds, continued to cycle part of the route I had covered this morning to the railway siding and returned to meet Rob and Mary at the West Kirby Sailing Club for drinks. Rob had served 2 years as Commodore of the club which has existed since 1901. Our group of 4 grew to 14 as their friends joined us and friendly conversation was the norm. From conversation I found out that the Sailing Club is the largest sailing club in the North West of England with sailing taking place 7 days a week on the River Dee and the Marine Lake on a variety of modern and classic boats. It was an enjoyable few hours indeed.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement




Tot: 0.056s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0296s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb