28th June - Chris' Birthday!


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » London
June 30th 2010
Published: June 30th 2010
Edit Blog Post

28th June 2010

Chris’ 26th birthday!! We had a busy, fun-filled day exploring the city and the sights.

Our morning started as we wandered through the funky Southwark area, so I (Hayley) could check out some of the trendy clothes shops. I found a super-cool red dress, the last one in the shop as it had been so popular and had all sold out, except for one in the window display. Tried it on, it looked fantastic. Sold. I love London fashion 😊

Next, we made our way to the Imperial War Museum, Chris’ choice of sights for his birthday. The tanks, rockets and missiles were HUGE and the museum was packed full of interesting war relics and displays. Chris would be able to give a more in-depth account of this museum, as he got heaps more out of it due to his interest in war history. I found the whole experience really interesting and, in some parts, eye-openly depressing and disturbing.

From the museum we wandered down the street and found a small, cosy pub to have lunch and a couple of pints of cider. The bar man was super-duper friendly! Upon leaving the pub, we discovered it was in a street called “Hayles Street”, which I got a massive kick out of, and insisted on having a photo of me posing under the street sign.

With full tummies and a spring in our step we walked toward the London Eye, directing ourselves there by glimpsing it over the buildings and simply walking toward it! The line to get on was surprisingly tolerable, and before we knew it we were on the upward ride. The outlook from the Eye was incredible, with a great panoramic view of the city, including the Thames, Big Ben, Westminster Abbey and Buckingham Palace. Good to see such places we had not got the time to see on foot.

After a nice cold bottle of water (scorching hot day, especially being up in the London Eye carriage), we took the Jubilee line on the tube to go and visit Abbey Road. Highlight of the day!! We were both grinning ear-to-ear as we rounded the corner and had the famous crossing lying in front of us. After pausing to take in the ‘religious’ place we were standing, we found a guy who was taking photos of tourists on the crossing for tips. He took an amazing photo of us, walking in sync - I think I speak for both of us when I say this will be one of our favourite images of our trip! We took a few more photos of ourselves outside the Abbey Road Studios and made our mark on the tourist-graffitied wall out the front.

I’m pretty sure Chris had one spectacular birthday today! One to remember!

- Hayley 😊


Advertisement



Tot: 0.046s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 4; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0279s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb