Week 1 Ready for the off


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Leicestershire » Loughborough
January 12th 2012
Published: June 13th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 52.7708, -1.20435

Well at long last we're ready, I think, all the necessary things like house insurance renewals which lapse whilst we're away, contact lists in the event of just about everything, and a check list of things to be checked whilst we're away for our house minders AKA Stephen & Michelle have been taken care of.

The suitcases are packed, only 5 this time, and thankfully as my medication's been reduced since the last trip I don't need a complete flight case just for my meds. I still have half a flight case full of meds but it leaves room for some of the more important things like wine boxes.

Tomorrow morning we catch the coach at Leicester Forest Service station ready for a stress free journey down to Southampton.

Friday 13/01/12

Well the day's arrived, the day of our departure also it's ominously Black Friday. Whilst waiting in the coach park I was looking around as you do when you've nothing better on the agenda when I spotted a car in the adjacent petrol station slowly roll out from alongside the pump driverless, in an instant the driver who I hadn't spotted previously suddenly darted back from the entrance to the
Funchal, MaderiaFunchal, MaderiaFunchal, Maderia

The famous toboggan ride
shop, jumped in front of the car trying to stop it with both hands on the bonnet ( at the end of the pump island there's a road turning to the left allowing you to exit the station and opposite and in front of the kiosk there's parking for cars) fortunately for this guy directly opposite his car was a gap between the two parked cars which was just as well as the car was
slowly pushing him backwards into the vacant parking space, had it been occupied he would either now be crushed or his car would have run into the back of the parked car. In an instant the guy sidestepped his car and managed to open the driver's door and put the handbrake on; I didn't whether to laugh, cry, or get my camera out, but I remember thinking I wish people would leave me that much room when they park next to me, usually it's a squeeze juts to open
the door. Having composed himself he drove the car back to its original position walked nonchalantly back into the shop, making his payment and strolled back to his car safe in the knowledge that nobody saw what all to easily could have been a nightmare Black Friday for him, if only he knew!

the coach arrived only slightly late; upon boarding the coach I was greeted with a sea of silver
headed women and men with bolding pates, huh the youngest of the group again I thought so I'm probably going to have to explain once again how one so young (that's me) is able to do a 3 month cruise, but hey not to worry every cloud has a silver lining.

2hrs into the journey we're greeted with the smell of cucumber wafting from the seats behind us, now I know we're travelling with gentry. ¾ hr later the nobility behind us having partaken of lunch are now slumbering, somewhat loudly. Just then the guy on the other side from us and slightly behind was heard to say to his wife in an alarmed voice good grief there's a car coming the wrong way down the hard shoulder! He's got my attention now, but being on the offside it was difficult to see much and then came the retort “oh it's alright dear he's being towed by the AA) it turned out it was on a trailer with all its yellow hazard lights flashing, bloody muppet. All bodes well for an interesting trip and I haven't even got to the ship yet.

All checked in off to our room to drop off our hand luggage and then shoot of to the library to get some books out before there's an almighty queue, books duly chosen I take them to the librarian to check them out only to be told he's shutting the library now, I questioned the sensibility of shutting just as passengers were boarding to which he responded I'll do yours and promptly locked all the cabinets up to the annoyance of other passengers who were now filtering in.

Back to the cabin, luggage's been delivered promptly as usual just time to unpack and get up top for the tickertape and firework farewell. After a great evening meal there's just time for a quick reconnoitre around the ship before an early night, especially knowing were due to skirt
around a low depression during the night.

Saturday 14/01/12 At Sea 6c overcast, storm force 6

Everybody's talking about the terrible Italian cruise ship disaster as you'd expect, and there's some very nervous first timers on board.

The ships going hell for leather trying to miss the worst of the storm it's currently gale force 6 but the ships not uncomfortable despite some pitching and rolling and it's certainly not enough to put me of my cooked breakfast.

We've been fortunate with our fellow dining companions there's two couples, and two single ladies one of who is Dutch and extremely pleasant, the other lady is the spitting image of Sue Pollard from Hidi Hi if you remember the series and she's got to be in every conversation unfortunately, however she's getting off in Beauno Aires so we'll see how things pan out.

Took a tour of the gym this afternoon, it looks good at least there's a sea view this time to while away the time, only 4 treadmills though which I suspect will be problem at some stage especially as one of them is out of order already, but we'll see when I start tomorrow.

Went to see the comedian Jeff Steveson tonight, he was good but one of the funniest moments was when he said he'd just come straight from the Queen Mary and then two passengers said so have we so after a bit of banter he apologised to them as they were going to have to listen to the same material again, to which they jokingly replied they might understand it the second time around, then he said never mind I'm going on the P&O Azure next to which the couple replied so are we, there was uproar from the audience. It transpired the couple were Australians spend 10 months cruising on different ships, to the comedians relief they weren't joining the Azure until after he got off!

Sunday 15/01/12 At sea, 8c, cloudy, with a stiff breeze

We're just coming out of the Bay of Biscay this morning and as expected the weather has improved somewhat, decided upon a leisurely morning after a hearty breakfast. Unfortunately the gym opens at the same time as the restaurant in the morning, which is a problem for me as I prefer to have my work out and then have breakfast so reluctantly I'm going to have to have my
gym sessions in the afternoon.

After lunch having had a suitable break I popped into the gym for an hour and a half, the equipment's different but easy enough to work around; the majority of users seem to be regular gym users which was a surprise as usually they don't have any idea of how to go on.

The captains' just announced that's its going to be very rough tonight, and then things will finally calm down tomorrow, we'll see.

Monday 16/01/12 At sea warm 19c, storm force 9 so it's not a day for being outside.

One of the treadmills' has broken down leaving only 2 operational so it's going to be mayhem as the gym is surprisingly well attended.One of the problems is that the majority of users are spending more time trying to adjust the machines but not knowing what they're setting them up for and then giving up and moving onto another piece of apparatus only to begin the process all over again, it wouldn't normally bother me but it's getting difficult to get time on some of the equipment I use: oh well live and let live I'm sure they'll tire before I do so it'll sort it's self out later.

Tuesday 17/01/12 At sea Warm and sunny 21c with an overcast sky.

We berthed at Funchal, Maderia literally walking distance from the town's esplanade so after
a hearty breakfast we went and explored the town, which is quite pleasant, before making our way up by cable car to Monte so that we could admire the views over the town and take the famous toboggan ride back down to the town.

Unfortunately as happens as we ascended the cloud cover descended bringing with it fine drizzle so we spent some time in the Church of our Lady of Monte then as the weather
improved we took the 2 Km toboggan ride back, the ride is actually a wicker seat which can accommodate up to three people on wooden runners, controlled by two guys behind who steer the contraption by alternating who pushes, thereby sending the toboggan at 45 degrees to the road; the effect is that you end up careering downhill with cars and the like behind whilst you zig zag from one side of the road to the other thereby ( hopefully) increasing the braking effect as you descend.

For some stupid reason I expected along with other gullible passengers that we would end up close to the town centre (I know I should have checked first but what the heck I'm on holiday) anyway it transpired that the finish point is still half way up the hillside some 2 Km above the town, and of course there's a well attended taxi rank adjacent, so after teaming up with another couple we paid the 15€ to eventually get back down.

We slipped our berth which was between two other cruise ships at 18:00 the ship front of our was German so we put on a singaway with all the German passengers crowed along the decks watching us as we sailed away, we sang a number of appropriate songs such as “we are sailing” all with the accompanying actions, when the entertainments officer asked for more suggestions I was going to propose the Dam Busters theme with us all running around the deck with our arms outstretched doing the bombing raid, but Linda grabbed me and unceremoniously bundled me down the stairs with numerousmutterings about what she was going to do to me if I didn't behave, oh well.

Wednesday 18/01/12 At sea 22c hot and sunny our clocks went back 1 hr

Thursday 19/01/12 At sea 21c hot and sunny with a few showers

Friday 20/01/12 At sea 19c overcast with a slight swell ( I think that's the lady from cabin 53) our clocks went back another hr



Advertisement



12th February 2012

Paul, as ever I'm loving your travel diary. I proper LMAO at the Dambusters part - if my Dad was there you would have had a willing partner in crime to tear about the deck arms outstretched!

Tot: 0.155s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 12; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0591s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb