Nearly at the end of our time in Blighty


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Lancashire
October 21st 2006
Published: October 28th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Hi folks
We had a lovely day yesterday. Went across the Yorkshire moors to Whitby. The only place in Yorkshire I have been before is Leeds for a football match so it was all new to me. The weather was rainy to start with then the sun sort of made an appearance so the heavy coat I took became a burden to lug around. Those of you who have watched Heartbeat will know that the characters go to Whitby for their shopping or a day out. Quite a nice place and it was wonderful to smell the ocean even if it was the North Sea. Whitby, as all good Aussies know, was where Captain Cook first went to sea and there is a memorial to him there.
Further up the coast is a little fishing village call Runswick Bay (pronounced Runzick). The cute little houses hug the side of the cliff and are all jammed together. The local pub is about as big as the ADAPT office minus the Psychs rooms but it had loads of olde worlde charm. I sampled the local speciality, mulled wine and it was delicious. There was a house for sale just above and the barman told us it was one up, one down and was priced at £225,000. There was however a nice B & B that would make a quite comfortable house if you fancied surviving a british winter right on the north sea. Not this little black duck! Incidentally there is an area of the moors called Blubberhouses which is quite understandable if you can imagine having to spend a winter night there, lost, with only sheep to keep you company.
Not sure what we are doing today, Alison mentioned something about a medieval church nearby so we can have a look at that. Don't think we will make it to London for sightseeing as we are leaving early Wednesday to fly to NY. Absolutely cannot wait. I have been wanting this almost my entire life. We tried various ways to get down there under our own steam but in the end admitted defeat and Geoff & Alison are taking us. British Rail quoted us £226 each with 5 changes of train and bus. In the end it would have cost about $1,000. United Airlines would have changed our ticket but it would mean flying to NY from Manchester via Frankfurt and we didn't see the sense in that.
Don't expect too many blogs from NY as I intend to be doing something every hour I can manage,
See you soon


Advertisement



Tot: 0.073s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0383s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb