Lakes and Dales D6


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Lancashire
June 27th 2014
Published: August 2nd 2014
Edit Blog Post

Friday

The Travel Lodge last night was clean and good value but unfortunately my room was facing the main road through town and was opposite the Ring o' Bells pub which had loud music until 4am with a noisy crowd to boot, which did not quieten down until 4.30am. Therefore sleep was on ration. We had an excellent breakfast next door in Weatherspoons for not much more than a fiver each - excellent. The road was hit at just after 9 to follow the cycle path, along the old railway line, down to Glasson Dock. Here we looked out over the estuary to Sunderland Point, where we were yesterday afternoon and could just see Blackpool Tower. We left the coast and had a brew at 'The Barn' in Scorton before tackling the hilly Trough of Bowland and down to the Puddleducks for lunch in Dunsop Bridge- the centre of the UK. We had a laugh at the ducks which scattered across the road oblivious to all the traffic waiting to pass and promptly sat down in the middle of the road unmoved by the pandemonium caused. On the way down the Trough I had a close encounter with a heron which flew out towards me at head level before changing its mind about 5 feet frommy face. The hill up to the Wild Boar Park after lunch was a bit of a killer and lead us over to Chipping and to our last leg to Billington. Despite several requests and hopes this was not the last of the hills since the valley is one hill after another. The riders on the tour will now find that they will have super legs after this week and will be leaving their friends for dead once they take off the panniers. The hotel was reached at 4.40pm just 30 minutes before the rain started. 49 miles and 870 metres of climbing, what a lucky trip, a full week with no rain. Now we have the pleasure of a shower and a dip in the pool for the swimmers amongst us before our final evening meal before departure in the morning. What a great week, good weather, no mechanicals, no punctures and good people. Total mileage 302 with 5800 metres of climbing with panniers. Who could ask for more?


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.475s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 14; qc: 57; dbt: 0.1495s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb