An unscheduled holiday


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Lancashire » Lytham St Annes
December 20th 2021
Published: December 20th 2021
Edit Blog Post

For quite a number of years now, my mantra has been 'when was the last time you did something for the first time?', probably born out of an increasing realisation of advancing years, but also from the understanding that as a youngster, most experiences were 'for the first time', but with age comes a foreshortening of horizons, and there are far fewer 'new experiences'.

However, an unexpected set of circumstances have contrived to ensure that I am not missing out on a 'new experience', that is, taking a holiday in December!

Now this won't be anything unusual for many people, but possibly their winter holidays involve an exotic sun-soaked location or the glittering slopes and après-ski delights of Klosters or Bad-Zermat. For me, however, it is the wind-blown mudflats of Lytham St Annes. But at least it's mild, well, 5 degrees C.

The Queens Hotel in Lytham is a busy place, doing a good trade in meals in the bar, which also has five decent real ales on draught. Actually, being in a bar drinking beer is also quite a novel experience these COVID infested days. My single room is small, but adequate and faces onto a side street which means less traffic noise, but interestingly the television is mounted on the wall in such a way that to get a decent view you have to stand up in front of it. As it's a flat screen TV, high up on the wall, sitting on the bed means that you get a very dark and strangely coloured picture, and a stiff neck! Still, it probably won't matter too much after a couple of pints of Old Peculier from the bar.

The catering arrangements are slightly confusing. The booking confirmation states 'continental breakfast included' whereas the welcome letter I was given on arrival talks about a choice of breakfasts including 'full English'. I hope for the latter!. We'll see what appears in the morning . . . . . .

Advertisement



Tot: 0.103s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 51; dbt: 0.059s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb