The childhood home of Anne Boleyn - Hever Castle


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Kent » Edenbridge
May 11th 2007
Published: April 16th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Wonderful Day Out



We dont really like to sit at home when the weather is nice, probably like most people ;-) Living in London gives you so many opportunities around that you can simply roll a dice for it and you still will be very pleased with your choice;-) We bought this book in charity shop called 'English Gardens' and we were flipping pages of it one day when we come across this beautiful place just a short drive from us. Hever Castle and Gardens. it was called.

The Castle dates from to the 13th century and it's land spreads across acres including its award winning gardens. The most famous inhabitant was Anne Boleyn (beheaded wife of Henry The 8th) where she spent her childhood. This estate was added to the Tudors wealth and later on belonged to Henry’s fourth wife, Anne of Cleves. There is so much to do in this place that it is really difficult to choose what is the best. You can visit the castle itself, which is quite small and seems almost our of place (like it was minimised haha). There are some interesting items that survived from Tudors time i.e. portraits and there are usually different sorts of games and shows for the children in front of the castle ( including dressing up as a princess so seems fun). For adults they have restaurants and the gardens including the most amazing of all Italian Garden which was designed to display collection of Italian sculptures on the beautiful background of flowers and trees;-)

There is a lot of water features around the gardens, including Half Moon Pond, the Cascade Rockery, the cool and shady grottoes, the formal loggia fountain based on the Trevi fountain in Rome, and the more informal pond. You can endlessly wander around and enjoy the day if its sunny ;-) There are tree and water mazes so you can literarily get lost if you will ;-)

We packed our own picnic food, a blanket and some drinks and after we walked around for hours we decided to have late lunch at the grass overlooking the castle - what a perfect day out;-) We even managed to get friendly with a local duck that was really interested in our lasagna;-)


Additional photos below
Photos: 35, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



16th April 2011

Really Look like a heaven!
It looks like a heaven. I like so much.
18th April 2011

Really Look like a heaven!
Tudor Gardens is really looks like heaven. I like so much.
28th May 2013

Very nice
Thanks for the nice photos of a lovely garden.I will ask my son to visit the same during his ensuing business visit to London.

Tot: 0.072s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0335s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb