Crossing the English Channel!


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Kent » Dover
June 29th 2017
Published: July 4th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

London to Dover to Calaise


The day began with a wake up call at 3:30 a.m. I got to the lobby for a cold buffet of cereal, cold cuts, sliced cheese, and various breads. We loaded up the bus at 4:45 a.m. We are a group of 28 people! I think I am the only person traveling alone. Everyone else is either married or with family. Quite a few people from America. YEAH! Lots of room to move around and plenty of space for my carry on! Our tour guide is Scott. Nice young man. Our driver is Luigi from Italy. We traveled south to Dover and to take the ferry over to Calais, France. We had to get off the bus before getting on the ferry so the French official can stamp our passports. The ferry ride took only 1 hour 45 minutes. A young married couple, Cameron and Charne Pitman, from South Africa and I found one outlet where we could charge our phones. Charne is a 4th grade teacher. We chatted about the similarities and difference of teaching in our two countries. We had the same kind of parents, good and bad, as well as students who came to us with a wide variety of abilities. Her husband wanted to know about the concept of community colleges. They don’t have them in South Africa. There was heavy fog, so we didn’t see much of the White Cliffs of Dover nor did we see much on the crossing.


Additional photos below
Photos: 30, Displayed: 22


Advertisement



Tot: 0.305s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 8; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0915s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb