White Cliffs


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Kent » Dover
September 2nd 2011
Published: September 2nd 2011
Edit Blog Post

We decided to walk Brighton beach early before being on our way to Dover. We enjoyed the tide coming in and searched for unique shells and stones. Such an old area of growth, so many structures around which lost use 100's of years ago but still exist.

On the road again, we thought we'd stay off the motor way and take the scenic route. More narrow roads and crazy steep hills, the poor diesel is really getting a workout. We've seen so many beautiful parts of England and will never get sick of it although we can't believe the number of sheep here. Some fields have thousands of them.

We stopped at the water edge at Dymchurch. This is another town of rich history. It also has a 4 mile long wall along the English Channel (perhaps it's due to the town being several feet BELOW sea level).

Finally reached Dover!! It was unreal seeing the White Cliffs. We looked around town, took tons of pictures and ate before going back to the hotel to relax a bit for a busy day tomorrow.

We got up early and explored Dover castle (we like being the first ones at these places). We learned a lot about its history and contribution to WWII and the start of the battle of Britain. We spend several hours through the castle, around the grounds and the secret tunnels below.

We then drove up to Canterbury to see some small Cathedral there and walk the shops. We didn't spend much time here as it was busy and we were anxious to get to our next stop... 39 Bryant St., Chatham, England (Papa's house growing up).

We're sure this had changed a lot over the years but we were very disappointed to learn apartment buildings now stand at this address. We still captured many pictures of the area and perhaps a renewed memory or two.

Tomorrow we're off to Hemel and the top of the world.



Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

DymchurchDymchurch
Dymchurch

Seawall in Dymchurch on way to southeast England


Tot: 0.144s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 12; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0745s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb