What a party!


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Hertfordshire » Saint Albans
June 18th 2023
Published: June 27th 2023
Edit Blog Post

M and G.M and G.M and G.

Not sure we ever looked like this!
You don't turn seventy every year, thank goodness, and really we could have done without it this year, but time is of the essence and our essence this year is ageing. A slightly musty, musky scent with a hint of nostalgia. Our daughters thought to remind us of what it was like to be young and lively in the 70s and planned an extravaganza with friends and family gathering at the party house in St Albans.

The request was for 70s attire and the result was hilarious, Graeme and I providing most of the hilarity if truth be told.

It was so lovely that my oldest and dearest school friend made the journey from Peterborough. The daughter of another old friend made it down from Edinburgh! One daughter and husband flew from Lisbon especially, and although many were unable to attend the children made sure that they were there in spirit with a video they had secretly commissioned from some of our Australian and English friends. Definitely brought a tear to my eye. But, gluttons for punishment, they decided that they should add to it with a message from the participants, so we await this edited version with bated breath.

We are so fortunate to have #catalanchef in our family and he, together with a few willing sous chefs, provided us with a fabulous repast fit for those turning 70 and of course we shared. I can assure you that the food tasted as good as it looked.

I particularly loved that my daughters provided paper decorations; not a piece of plastic in sight! Beautiful paper flowers which will be reused for many an occasion. Thirty odd years of brainwashing paid off!

Many bottles of champagne, prosecco, wine and non-alcoholic wine, elderflower drink and water later - it was very hot, we had to keep chasing some shade, the remainers adjourned inside and much hilarity ensued with a strange ritual of dancing round the kitchen island and attempting not to eat the last piece of Basque cheesecake. The winner or should I say loser had to entertain us with a strange twerking dance. Was this a Catalan custom? It had been a long day and the hostess with the mostest had sunk into oblivion on the sofa as the last revellers decided to play a game which was thought unsuitable for those of a late age and so we retired happy and grateful to our wonderful family and friends. Thank you to each and every one who contributed in any way to the best party one could ever hope for.


Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement



27th June 2023

The Big Party
Oh how amazing such a lovely day for you both. Glad all went so well. The lovely girls certainly know how to entertain with fun and lots of laughter. You are so lucky to have spent time with you wonderful family and friends x x x
8th July 2023

The Big Party
Sorry you weren't there in person!

Tot: 0.046s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 14; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0259s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb