Day 12: Headin' Back


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Hertfordshire » Hertford
March 16th 2011
Published: March 19th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Leaving Oxford quickly (after a good sleep in) as what a boring Town it is, the day was typical English dreary, low fog and bloody freezing it was a day that we really had nothing planned so we headed on back down towards London as we had to drop the camper off early the following day. It is surprising that you drive a few miles over here and the landscape changes dramatically, from sleepy village lanes and stone walled fields to larger roads and scenes that would look right at home in the Waikato, farms everywhere and the funny thing is that you are in the middle of the countryside and come around a corner to a roundabout and there right in front of you is a new car dealership, cross the roundabout the countryside again bloody weird if you ask me. All of a sudden Pam said why not the Whipsnade Zoo......Arriving there we nearly fell over at the cost to enter 18 pounds each we nearly pulled the plug on it then but we had not much else to do so why not. Well in my view a beautiful Zoo park. It is huge but the day was so cold and miserable that even the animals were mostly inside, still we had paid 50 odd pounds and we walked it, good exercise but that was all. Now being around 4.00 it was time to head to our next campsite. Pam programmed the old faithful Tomtom with the address of a campground she found on the internet, some 40 odd k's but it was not too far from where we had to drop the motor home off to. It was now around 4.45 and the traffic was building and you have to realise that closer to large towns the peak hour traffic is just like home, awful. Arriving at the correct address at around 5.30, no campsite was to be found, no tents,no caravans, no motor homes, bugger!!!!!! A command decision had to be so Pam made it, back to our starting point of 10 days ago in Hertford another 40 odd k's but we new it was there. Traffic was not too bad and we arrived at around 6.30 tired but happy. Writing this blog now, Pam and Bree have gone to do the washing leaving me to do this. About to sign off for today Bree is in her "room" doing her homework and Pam is working and I am off to make dinner. Tomorrow we drop the van off and go to stay the night at the Novotel at Heathrow before flying to Frankfurt on Friday for the European leg of the trip, all are excited.........


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement



1st April 2011
This House Caught My Eye

I recognise this building. This is the Five Arrows hotel in Waddesdon. The Pub opposite (The Lion) do a fantastic steak!

Tot: 0.377s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 21; qc: 79; dbt: 0.1611s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb