A short visit to Hereford, a town of Saxon origin since the 7th century


Advertisement
United Kingdom's flag
Europe » United Kingdom » England » Herefordshire » Hereford
August 1st 2019
Published: August 1st 2019
Edit Blog Post

It was a great relief to arrive in Hereford and finally unpack our bags; me for for a mere couple of days and Charlotte for the last time, at least for the time being. Up early the next day, the first thing Charlotte did was to collect her dog Pippa from the animal shelter where she'd spent a few days. Once Pippa was settled and we were breakfasted it was off to Hereford for a coffee and a bit of a wander around. Hereford, which is close the the Welsh border, does have a very interesting history and was heavily involved with the Civil War in the 17th century but that was something I'd followed up on my first visit there. After all the travelling we'd been doing in the previous days we felt like being somewhat lazy and not pushing ourselves.



So with only two nights and one one full day in Hereford we mostly took it easy although we did have another look around Hereford Cathedral again reminding ourselves that we'd seen the Chancel Screen that once stood in the cathedral and is now in London's Victoria & Albert Museum.



We also made a visit to Charlotte's small cottage know as The Piggery where I was introduced to the gentleman who rents the place and we took the opportunity to water the plants in the front and back gardens. We did bemoan the fact that we hadn't gone to look around Sir Edward Elgar's house which is now owned by the National Trust and only 26 miles away. Maybe we'd just done enough travelling!



We were up early on 26 July and Charlotte drove me to Bristol Temple Meads Railway Station where I caught a train to Eastbourne via London. Thanks Charlotte for meeting me in London ten days earlier and having some "On the Road" adventures with me although they weren't quite as outrageous as those of Jack Kerouac. Nevertheless we had a ball..

.


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

The Chancel Screen, erected in Hereford Cathedral in1863 The Chancel Screen, erected in Hereford Cathedral in1863
The Chancel Screen, erected in Hereford Cathedral in1863

& moved to the Victoria & Albert Museum in the 1990s


3rd August 2019
Sir Edward Elgar (1857-1934) looks towards Hereford Cathedral

Hereford Cathedral
What beauties Michelle. I've posted some of your pics in TB's "Cathedrals, grand churches, mosques & places of public worship" thread in the Photography Forum. Check 'em out.
3rd August 2019
Sir Edward Elgar (1857-1934) looks towards Hereford Cathedral

Hereford Cathedral
Thanks for that; will check it out!
6th August 2019
Inside Hereford Cathedral

Rich in history
Beautiful architecture.
6th August 2019
Inside Hereford Cathedral

Rich in history
I'm always amazed by those who designed and built such buildings in the past. We think we're so clever now but such is obviously not the case.

Tot: 0.285s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 16; qc: 72; dbt: 0.1111s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb